Fatigue and nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There's a relatively long thread on Basic Scuba Discussions concerning the benefits of nitrox other than prolonging NDL, such as feelings of fatigue after diving. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of Dr Deco and other scientists/clinicians on this topic.

Good diving, Craig

Hi Scubadada,

Many divers report reduced fatigue when using EAN, including myself. However, there is no corpus of compelling scientific evidence to support such an effect.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Scubadada,

Many divers report reduced fatigue when using EAN, including myself. However, there is no corpus of compelling scientific evidence to support such an effect.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Doc, you aren't really an academic; if you haven't done a peer reviewed study, you have no business feeling less fatigued. :wink:

Can't tell the difference. In fact, with the hassles of getting a good blend and the checking and the added cost, i just dive air.

Shoot me if I am wrong, but I thought that there was plenty of evidence to show that people breathing higher partial pressures of oxygen on dry land demonstate higher levels of energy and alertness.

The way I figure it, smaller numbers of nitrogen micro bubbles coming out of your blood can't hurt either. That's my highly non-scientific analysis.

Rhone Man:
Shoot me if I am wrong, but I thought that there was plenty of evidence to show that people breathing higher partial pressures of oxygen on dry land demonstate higher levels of energy and alertness.

Studies I've read show it's a placebo on dry land too.

Oxygen is just gas - Journal of AMA July 14, 1989

Last edited:

The way I figure it, smaller numbers of nitrogen micro bubbles coming out of your blood can't hurt either. That's my highly non-scientific analysis.

Bang.

Good diving, Craig

Hello Readers:

Nitrox

The question of nitrox vs. air in preventing fatigue has arisen once again. There are few laboratory tests [only one that I know of] with regard to this effect. These tests were not done with a sufficient number of dives, and they were on a single day. The effect, if real, requires multiple dives and often over multiple days.

All remaining observations are individual and anecdotal. I have personally never worked in this area of nitrox diving and thus cannot offer any thoughts.

What is Observed?

[1.] Individual differences appear to play a large role. Some divers report less fatigue with nitrox and others no difference. It is entirely possible that some divers are “bubble formers” and nitrox might reduce the number of bubbles. Exactly how bubbles would produce fatigue is not clear. Laboratory tests demonstrate that under controlled conditions, bubble formation following decompression is individualistic. [Dervay JP, Powell MR, Butler B, Fife CE. The effect of exercise and rest duration on the generation of venous gas bubbles at altitude. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2002; 73(1):22-7.] If the effect were a consequence of bubble formation, divers who would not produce decompression bubbles anyway would not benefit from reduced nitrogen loads.

A placebo effect is also possible since this is known to produce results with medicines.

Laboratory Studies

A laboratory study has problems. First, some agency, such as the US Navy, would need to fund the study. Since the Office of Naval Research is again funding diving studies, this is a possibility. Multiday trials are expensive and subject recruitment can be a problem. We will need to wait and see if some group is interested in pursuing this in their laboratory with ONR funds.

Dr Deco :doctor:

You might find these interesting: Harris, RJ; Doolette, DJ; Wilkinson, DC; Williams, DJ. Measurement of fatigue following 18 msw dry chamber dives breathing air or enriched air nitrox. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2003 Winter;30(4):285-91. RRR ID: 3975
Harris et al:
Diving to 18m produced no measurable difference in fatigue, attention levels, ability to concentrate or DHS scores, following dives using either breathing gas.
Chapman, SD; Plato, PA. Measurement of Fatigue following 18 msw Open Water Dives Breathing Air or EAN36. In: Brueggeman P, Pollock NW, eds. Diving for Science 2008. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 27th Symposium. Dauphin Island, AL: AAUS; 2008. RRR ID: 8005
Chapman and Plato:
Divers did tend to be more fatigued after diving; however, breathing gas mixture exhibited no statistically significant effect. Participants did have significantly lower Diver Health Survey scores upon the conclusion of EAN36 test sessions, possibly indicative of reduced decompression stress.

Assuming bubble load is the driver for fatigue it hardly seems surprising there will be individual differences. Beyond subjective interpretation of fatigue it seems it would be impossible to know relative bubble loads for set of dives that were uncontrolled for the depth v. time profiles. Are there measureable signs or markers that could be used to determine if the fatigue is related to an immune or pulmonary response? If there are this might be amenable to an animal study. And there is some practical relevance. Assuming fatigue could be better quantified it could provide a better maker on where the line between safe and time efficient deco lies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom