Favorite "pet-peave" arguments against solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm sure we all have them...the argument put forth against solo diving that just does not hold water, and maybe you hear it a lot...

Here's mine...
"Don't you know it's much nicer to appreciate a dive with a buddy..."

I don't even respond to that one anymore, but I'm thinking, "I've dove both with buddies and without. You have only dove with buddies. How can you reasonably expect to tell me what my preference between the two activities should be when:
(A) you don't know me at all so how can you presume what I like, and
(B) you probably lack one of the experiences (solo), which gives you no basis for comparison..."

Edit: I must not have communicated well. I meant to elicit arguements you have heard from those around you making the case agaist solo diving, but those particular reasons just don't float in your case, or at all...

I've only ever done one solo dive - and only to about 10 meters. It was the most peaceful dive that I've ever done. I didn't have to worry about anything outside of myself, if something went wrong it would be to me and I'd know about it immediately. It was actually amazingly relaxed - just taking pictures of fish etc. I never realised how much I was aware of - and concentrated on my buddy until that dive - and it was pleasant for a change not to have the extra responsibility.

jagfish:
Here's mine...
"Don't you know it's much nicer to appreciate a dive with a buddy..."

I don't know what your preference is but to me, diving is a social sport. Going with a couple of buddy pairs to a site, getting a few dives in, compare experiences, lessons learned etc.. That is what diving is for me.

What you get out of diving is for you to determine.

I've done a few solo dives, but the only time I do them now is in shallow water for equipment checks or skills practice.

Of the "real" dives, there was none of what I really enjoy about my buddy dives:

Nobody to point out something I may have missed.
Nobody for me to point something out to.
Nobody to share and relive the experience with after the dive. Even if there is someone else on shore or on the boat, they don't understand what you're explaining, especially if they are non-divers.

It's like riding a rollercoaster or going to see a movie alone... simply no fun at all.

El Orans:
What you get out of diving is for you to determine.

My point exactly, which is why I always find it amusing when people suggest to me that I would appreciate dives more with a buddy...

The only time I dive solo is when the choice is solo or no go. Otherwise I prefer a buddy... or several :)
Rick

I've done more solo dives than I care to admit but I prefer to dive with a buddy. In fact I've seen some of the local sites so many times that if it weren't for the social aspect of going there with other people I'd probably never dive them again. Not only that but unless I'm teaching I prefer to only dive with divers who really know how to be a buddy and in the case of teaching I'm working to correct those problems.

It often takes us a couple evenings to get ready for a dive between mixing gas and checking equipment and I even prefer to do that with a buddy.

I don't think there is a valid arguement why any one shouldn't solo dive. Divers have always done it and they always will.

My arguement against lagitimizing it for the general diving public is that most of them can't dive for crap.

I prefer to dive with a good buddy. However, l will dive solo if a buddy is not available. If the options are solo or 'dive with someone I do not know' I generally go it alone; I've have too many bad experiences with 'blind dates'. Even when I dive solo there is someone else at the dive site that knows I am in the water and when I plan to emerge.

I have done a few hundred solo dives. I was working on a boat at the time when I did most of them, ut was myonly chance to get away from everyone, I did one solo dive on a rebreather that was the most relaxing dive I have ever had.

I agree with those who indicate that solo diving is very relaxing.

I like not having to be responsible for a buddy and I enjoy not having to have to keep track of them throughout the dive. I like the freedom of being able to amend the dive plan on the fly and the additional attention that can be focused on the dive itself. I also like the control that comes with being fully independent, knowing that my equipment is 100% up to par and that I only have to worry about one diver's air consumption.

I enjoy socializing on the boat and I do a lot of dives with relatively new and inexperienced divers that I sometimes enyoy. I also do a few dives with experienced buddies that I usually enjoy, but none of those dives can touch the relaxation and satisfaction that occurs when I am diving solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom