Favorite "pet-peave" arguments against solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nlbford:
I am just curious, but I have seen reference to the DIR forum/people etc. and have ascertained it apparently stands for "Do-it-right" . . . so my question is why that distinction? Is there a significant portion of the community "Doing it Wrong"? It seems tro me that making that designation seems to imply that anyone else who is not "DIR" is somehow errant and incorrect. That strikes me as a bit judgemental and holier than though.

you're right, a lot of people seem to post some very sanctamonious (not sure of the spelling lol) posts against solo diving. It's entirley poss to 'Do It Right' as a solo diver, yes it's a different way of diving and as people have mentioned on different threads you need a far higher level of self awareness.

You'll also frequently see criticism of solo diving being mentioned in a non-tech forum of SB, funnily enough as far as Im aware the Solo Diving section is open to anyone and is well advertised so I do not think their argument holds water :wink:

nlbford:
I am just curious, but I have seen reference to the DIR forum/people etc. and have ascertained it apparently stands for "Do-it-right" . . . so my question is why that distinction? Is there a significant portion of the community "Doing it Wrong"? It seems tro me that making that designation seems to imply that anyone else who is not "DIR" is somehow errant and incorrect. That strikes me as a bit judgemental and holier than though. What is right for one may not be right for another and if one is diving safely and without impacting others adversly they are doing it right whether someone who does things differently says so or not.

I am not trolling or trying to start any trouble, I am just curious as to how this "DIR" comes about and why. Seems like a distinct fraught with the tendency to divide rather than unite and from my admittedly "uneducated" knowledge of what it is all about seems rather counterproductive and somewhat stuffy and arrogant.

Seems like whether we are diving solo, in a group or with a buddy, if we are doing low impact, safe and contetious diving and coming back safely and emriched for the experience, we arre ALL "Doing it Right".

Am I missing something? Again, just wondering.

wrong forum for this argument i think.

rjchandler:
wrong forum for this argument i think.

As I said, wasn't putting forth an argument, trolling or attempting to cause trouble. I was merely making an inquiry in a thread where the topic was mentioned a couple of times. Since it is a term that in 10 years of diving I have only ever heard mentioned here (at least in terms of SCUBA), I thought I'd ask those who knew what it was all abou to see if I could get some sense of clarification.

nlbford:
As I said, wasn't putting forth an argument, trolling or attempting to cause trouble. I was merely making an inquiry in a thread where the topic was mentioned a couple of times. Since it is a term that in 10 years of diving I have only ever heard mentioned here (at least in terms of SCUBA), I thought I'd ask those who knew what it was all abou to see if I could get some sense of clarification.

For my mind I think you're fine posting that! :wink:

you're not the only one not to hear of this DIR lark except on SB

DORSETBOY:
For my mind I think you're fine posting that! :wink:

you're not the only one not to hear of this DIR lark except on SB

Thank you . . . perhaps this forum could have a subheading I have heard in other areas outside this sport . . . "DIY", or "Do It Yourself". :wink:

nlbford:
Thank you . . . perhaps this forum could have a subheading I have heard in other areas outside this sport . . . "DIY", or "Do It Yourself". :wink:

isn't that what solo diving is?

rjchandler:
isn't that what solo diving is?

Um . . . precisely. Hence why I said "this forum" might use the ]"subheading" of "DIY" . . .

. . . and I am sorry if I am missing something, but I appear to have inadvertatnyly stepped on your toes and if so I apologize :)

I dive solo because I like the solitude, I back country hike in the winter for the same reasons. I do a great deal of underwater and scenic photography; to get good shots you have to be on your own clock.

I did a couple of almost solo dives (actually it were group dives without any buddie pairs) and those were the best dives ever. You still have company to talk to after the dive (and before) but don't have to think about it during the dive... It's so much more peacefull and I can choose my speed... (I'm currently in the process of becoming divecon and fully appreciate every opportunity to dive without my "children")

You should stay inside limits that you feel good/safe about, though...

Edit: and yes, don't forget: you shoud know the site, great vis as a must, low currents are very helpfull... - and all other "safe" conditions...

I do in fact have more fun diving with friends, I dive solo due my profession where many times I may stay in one spot the entire dive. Even though I dive with others we do not rely on each other as buddies, as I am concentrating on shooting and therefore staring though a viewfinder, I can not fulfill the buddy obligation. When I do dive with other folks I prefer that they are very experienced and self sufficient. the same ocean rule applies, we may start the dive together but that does not mean we will stay together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom