Favorite Settings DC2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaCandy

Registered
Reaction score
So I just purchase a DC2000 with the Sea Dragon 2500. it's my first underwater camera and I am heading to the Bahamas in a few weeks. I am pretty familiar with camera settings in general (use to shoot some professionally part time years ago) but need some advice for the underwater world. I have been reading as much as I can looks likes lot people use the aperture mode. Anyone want to share some good settings for me to start with as far as which mode, iso, wb, focus mode, image ratio photo size, etc. The only thing I know for sure is I will shoot in raw format and get as close as I can to the subject. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
Ray

Many others on here can give you a lot more advice but here are a couple that I have found....

Work constantly on your buoyancy.

You are never as close as you think you are.

So far I have only had the opportunity to use my DC2000 for one dive, but here is what I have found so far:
  • Most of the filter settings aren't applied to the RAW version of the picture, only to the JPG, so don't sweat which underwater mode you use frp a depth filter perspective
  • There is a lag after shooting a photo for the RAW file to be stored - be prepared for this.
General advice, not specific to the camera:
  • For your first few dives, keep it on full auto and point-and-click. Get used to the specific challenges of taking photos underwater that you aren't used to, without fiddling with the camera settings. I wouldn't even bother taking the flash with you the first few times, just get used to the camera. Find out the unique challenges of framing shots with uncooperative critters.
  • Practice taking shots of things that don't move. If you are in warm water, sponges, sea fans, coral, and things like flamingo tongues can be excellent.
  • Steel yourself for the fact that the large portion of your photos will be disappointing, but some will be amazing. If you get one or two good shots per dive at the start, be happy.
  • You will use a lot more air while you are trying to maneuver and frame your shot - allow for that, and warn your buddy, who is going to need to be patient.
  • Once you get out with your strobe, be aware that sometimes using the strobe can make your photo worse, due to back-scatter. Positioning of the strobe is vital, and another skill to learn.
  • As much as possible, get lower than your subject and shoot up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom