Favorite So Cal Shore Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken, I'm waiting for you to fill in the blank on where you dive when lobstering! :wink:

I'll double, triple, quadruple what everyone here states...and maybe add a kayak. This is maybe the only other way to expand your view from the usual beaches.

Russell

Thanks Again One And All For Your Input...
Many New Sites To Choose From..
I Saw One Phone Number From The (310) For Surf Conditions.. Any Other Tricks Up Your Sleeves To Find Out How Conditions Are? Once Again I'm Over An Hour From The Coast And Would Like To Have An Idea What They Are Like Before Heading Out.
Missy P, You Mentioned La Jolla Shores. I Posted A Question About That Before. I Have Dove The Area A Few Times... Seen The Canyon.. Been To 131 Feet, But Still Havent Seen All Of The Cool Things Everyone Speaks About.
I Guess I'll Have To Take The Advice Of One Of The Members Who Told Me To Go Diving With A Local Who Can Show Me Exactly Where To Go!!
Happy Diving...
T

TerryTat:
Missy P, You Mentioned La Jolla Shores. I Posted A Question About That Before. I Have Dove The Area A Few Times... Seen The Canyon.. Been To 131 Feet, But Still Havent Seen All Of The Cool Things Everyone Speaks About.

T

What exactly were you expecting to see? LJ isn't reefy like Laguna or PV, but the canyon offers quite a mixture of life both swimming around or on the canyon walls/ledges.. If you're looking for pretty reefs, LJ isn't really the place to go.. lol..
What we do have is sandy bottoms until you hit the canyon.. On the sand you'll find halibut & the other flatties, sea slugs/nudis, moon sails, sand dollars, bat rays, round rays, pipefish, occasional sheepcrabs, and usually little schools of fish. You might find an occasional mortar bowl from ancient Native Americans, which are illegal to take..

In the canyon, you'll find lots of nudis, large sheephead, senoritas, horn sharks, jellies, Fringeheads, octopus, scorpionfish, walls, ledges, pinnacles, more bat rays, etc etc etc. You will find tons of life in and on those walls & ledges. I've never been bored diving there- you will always find something new...

Favorite shore dives:

Reef point in Orange County (it's not really all that long of walk!).

Long Point/Old Marineland in Palos Verdes (the rocks out by the Point Vicente lighthouse would be my favorite but dang that really is a long swim!).

Leo Carrillo in North Los Angeles County

Thanks a million MaxBottomtime for the detailed reference points on where to dive in La Jolla, and Missy P for the details on what I can expect to see. I know there arent any reefs there. I just wanted to be pointed in the right direction. I have been bored there... unlike you. Now I have a much better idea where to go!!
Oh yeah.. I hear about old Marineland alot. Can anybody give me more details about the site? I have never been there.
Happy Diving....

Back
Top Bottom