Favorite wreck in Southern Lake Michigan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like I'm going to put together another trip to Lake Michigan for a group of old, fat, smelly, and grumpy, but experienced, divers from OK. One of the group would like to dive one of the mostly intact clipper ships if possible. We can dive out of Hammond, Chicago, or Milwaukee. Probably have to stay rec depth on this one to make a group.

We will probably go with Double Action Charters again unless someone has another recommendation. I'm open to anything. Air fills were going to be an issue on our last trip with us having to drive an hour to get fills so an option with close fills would be good. Most likely just diving air.

June or early July timeframe.

Sooooo what's your favorite wreck and why?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Love the Willie.

And for Milwaukee, go with Jitka Hanakova of Shipwreck Explorers. She’s got a nice little 6 pack, the Molly V. Best ladder I’ve encountered on the Great Lakes. And the best boat dog, too - Deco the Wonder Dog (Boykin Spaniel).

I've only been out on Lake Michigan once, out of Hammond, but the Straits of Mackinac (name of the ship) was a really cool dive. About 80 feet deep or so.

In Southern Lake Michigan my favorites are the (1) SS Wisconsin, (2) Car Ferry and (3) Prins Willem.

I second (or third or fourth, I'm not sure where we are now) the SS Milwaukee train car ferry. It's deep and cold, but one of the best history lesson dives I've done. I was a little underwhelmed with the Prinz Willem, but it is popular for a reason - it's huge and we didn't cover even close to the whole of it after two dives.

An underrated second dive, I think, is the Gillen tug. It sits upright at about 70 feet and is small enough that you can see it end to end and swim several laps around it in a 25-30 minute single tank dive.

Back
Top Bottom