Favorites for lodging in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdrell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, all.

My wife and I are ramping up doing a good bit more diving in Monterey, and we're kinda stumped in trying to figure out the best way to not go broke for lodging there.

We're doing our dives this weekend on Sunday morning, which is usually convenient for us, so we usually want to stay Saturday night so we don't have to make the long drive from SF in the morning. But most of what's available is really expensive.

Anybody had good luck with any smaller places? This weekend is pretty booked up, so we can plan a bit farther ahead next time, but any specific places you've enjoyed would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

The Lone Oak Lodge is basically a diver motel, they even have tubs and hangers to rinse and dry gear. For Monterey it's pretty reasonably priced. I have also booked places in nearby Pacific Grove through AirBnB for not too much money. Most people drive down for the day from where you are, though. I've had good luck heading down around 10 a.m., by noon many of the early groups and classes are heading out.

Lone Oak is nice enough, and I'm staying there for my Pt Lobos dive in two weeks. But more expensive than Motel 6 outside town.
If you are willing to do a12-minute drive, I've stayed much more often at the Motel 6 Marina off Reservation Rd.
Usually $70 weekdays, tho' more on weekends. AAA discount.
They're used to divers and the Pergo floors tolerate damp wetsuits much better.
It ain't luxurious, but it's both diver and pet friendly.
Quick drive into Monterey for morning setup.
If money is the driver, Motel 6.
If convenience is key and you don't mind 50% more, Lone Oak is okay.
Neither is luxurious.

Hi, all.

My wife and I are ramping up doing a good bit more diving in Monterey, and we're kinda stumped in trying to figure out the best way to not go broke for lodging there.

We're doing our dives this weekend on Sunday morning, which is usually convenient for us, so we usually want to stay Saturday night so we don't have to make the long drive from SF in the morning. But most of what's available is really expensive.

Anybody had good luck with any smaller places? This weekend is pretty booked up, so we can plan a bit farther ahead next time, but any specific places you've enjoyed would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

If you haven't already booked something for this weekend you probably won't find a room. There's a golf thingy at Pebble Beach right now so all the hotels and motels have doubled and tripled their rates for this weekend and most are already booked to capacity.

I am normally at the Lone Oak Lodge every weekend but they are already fully booked. The Stage Coach Lodge offers a diver discount as well, but their cheapest room, if any are left, is $179 for divers. That's where I'll be this weekend. I also like the Deer Haven Inn in Pacific Grove. A very nice, comfy, quaint place to crash for the night but because of the goings on this week and weekend it is also about $199 for the cheapest room.

Diving in Monterey is awesome, and I stay at Lone Oak Lodge with such regularity I can get a room there for as little as $70/night, but when there's a big event in Monterey/Pacific Grove/Pebble Beach/Carmel you will not find anything that hasn't been double or tripled from their normal rate within a huge radius.

Like @wnissen said, Lone Oak Lodge is the normal diver's go to spot, but they are already fully booked and even they are charging $179+ for their cheapest room this weekend if they weren't.

another vote for the Lone Oak!
If you call and make a booking, they offer a diver's discount.
However it's not as big as it was in the past.
Usually nowadays, I just book via hotels.com so I can get that free night after 10 bookings.

:-D

Thanks, all. I think we're going to stay a bit farther away this weekend and drive a bit. We're not going to dive super early, so it should be fine.

We'll definitely keep Lone Oak in our pocket for the future though!

Thanks, all. I think we're going to stay a bit farther away this weekend and drive a bit. We're not going to dive super early, so it should be fine.

We'll definitely keep Lone Oak in our pocket for the future though!

Hey, just an FYI. You said you wanted to go diving on Sunday. Saturday is looking better. Sunday is gonna have some pretty good swells so think of what dive sites you want to go to. I'll be at the Breakwater Saturday & Sunday morning working with students. If you want to dive Saturday or Sunday afternoon with a dive buddy send me a message.

Monterey wave model -> CDIP recent forecast fm_mon_xxx

CA West Coast interactive wave model -> CDIP Models Ca

Hey, just an FYI. You said you wanted to go diving on Sunday. Saturday is looking better. Sunday is gonna have some pretty good swells so think of what dive sites you want to go to. I'll be at the Breakwater Saturday & Sunday morning working with students. If you want to dive Saturday or Sunday afternoon with a dive buddy send me a message.

Monterey wave model -> CDIP recent forecast fm_mon_xxx

CA West Coast interactive wave model -> CDIP Models Ca
Thanks so much. We have guided dives set up with Bamboo Reef. My wife is much more comfortable at this point diving with a dedicated guide. Sunday's the only day we could do it. Hopefully conditions will be okay for us somewhere. :)

Thanks so much. We have guided dives set up with Bamboo Reef. My wife is much more comfortable at this point diving with a dedicated guide. Sunday's the only day we could do it. Hopefully conditions will be okay for us somewhere. :)

Oh awesome! You'll have fun! Bamboo Reef is who I DM for and they have wonderful dive guides. Enjoy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom