FB posting - standards violations - how many can you pick out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a TECH class we are discussing. Not someone who just has OW pushing their limits.

However, MAYBE this specific class was being taught to people who already spearfish at those depths on air. Maybe they decided to take a class and learn how to add a little He into the tank to possibly take the buzz off?

That doesn't imply that standards shouldn't be followed, but if applicable, it might provide a broader perspective on what those photographs depict. Although I admit, that "Dorsal Fin" (and upside down) pony bottle mount was disconcerting.

What does "cowboy" mean?

I think this comes from the solo diving aspect of spearfishing. Spearfishermen also tend to be minimalists. And finally, many bounce dive throughout the day.

I would just keep in mind that scuba training today is overly conservative, which I think is what @MaxBottomtime is alluding to.

That's not entirely accurate. As someone growing up diving in La and knowing several of the hell divers, just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean the accidents don't happen. The hell divers historically have been very tight-knit and like to keep things within the group. I'm sure with social media a lot more is out there than before, and to be honest the hell divers are not the same group as they were 20 years ago. They are historically some bad ass, well accomplished spearos for sure though.
Yes, not so much now, but I recall the stories from back in the day. Of course rig diving is more dangerous and back then there wasn't much in the way of technical training. I probably should have left that group out of the discussion, but felt you don't hear about many accidents from them today.

first let me say im a 30 + year naui instructor (don't teach ntec) I teach tdi tech , after the big naui shake up a few years ago im shocked the 2010 manual has not been updated , as this is a naui thread what tdi does and cmas have absolutely no bearing here .....2 deco dives 1 one day (depending what type of deco dives ) is not a problem , that being said I don't agree whith making a student do them , mock deco ok real is not my cup of tea...........

first let me say im a 30 + year naui instructor (don't teach ntec) I teach tdi tech , after the big naui shake up a few years ago im shocked the 2010 manual has not been updated , as this is a naui thread what tdi does and cmas have absolutely no bearing here .....2 deco dives 1 one day (depending what type of deco dives ) is not a problem , that being said I don't agree whith making a student do them , mock deco ok real is not my cup of tea...........

You're not saying you deliberately violate training standards because you think you personally know better than the professional training agency.. are you? :poke:

read what I said I DONT TEACH NTEC I TEACH TDI they don't require repetitive deco.............some people are obtuse to the end degree................do you think maybe that might be the reason I don't teach ntec ?

read what I said I DONT TEACH NTEC ITEACH TDI they don't require repetitive deco.............some people are obtuse to the end degree................do you think maybe that might be the reason I don't teach ntec ?

Thanks. I didn’t recall anything about repetitive deco from TDI materials.

read what I said I DONT TEACH NTEC I TEACH TDI they don't require repetitive deco.............some people are obtuse to the end degree................do you think maybe that might be the reason I don't teach ntec ?

Sorry, to be honest I wasn't even sure exactly what NTEC means. I was unsure if you were an active NAUI instructor or not.

again 1 more time I have been and am presently a naui 30+ ACTIVE instructor but do no teach NAUI TECH

Recreational scuba diving in the States began in Southern California. California and Florida rank 1 and 2 in the number of divers. Many have been diving for several decades without getting certifications beyond Open Water. Not everyone who dives beyond 130 feet has taken the multitude of classes that the OP has taken.
I cannot love this enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom