FB posting - standards violations - how many can you pick out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a lot of “cowboy” culture in FL (and CA, for that matter), with regards to the spear fishers...

Have only dove with spearfishers a few times in the Keys and in PCB. I have never noticed a cowboy culture. As I remember, they were good divers and respectful to the rest of us. YMMV.

Reactions: Kha
So the black cylindrical thing on the lady's steel tank a another cylinder? Couldn't figure what that was. I thought it was one of those DPVs that can be attached to your cylinder. I have never seen a pony bottle mounted in this manner. I have always seen them off to the left or to the right of the primary cylinder and with the valve pointed upward toward the head of the diver. Would anyone know the reason for this configuration?

Also, the deco cylinder has a green label and a green regulator. Does this automatically mean 100% O2 or does it imply another mixture? I'm rather confused by these setups. Is the MOD label not a requirement for NAUI? I adhere to GUE equipment standards but have been in the water with plenty of TDI divers as well. Apart from the gas mixtures we employ, all of our bottles were labeled nearly in the same manner with an analysis sticker and an MOD label. I thought this was the norm for deco bottle markings across all agencies teaching technical diving.

Inverting the bottle and off to the side of the primary cylinder gives a diver the ability to control the valve if they can't reach it upright. I can reach mine, but I know some divers can't so they invert it. Being that hers was directly behind the primary makes absolutely no sense. Not only from a streamlining perspective, but also because she couldn't reach it, which totally defeats the purpose of inverting the bottle.

As for the deco bottle. I would never assume the contents of cylinder. Some people have multiple deco bottles and will permanently label the intended contents and MOD, but they still should be analyzed. I only have one deco bottle and would not permanently label it because I may want a different mix, but I most certainly analyze and label it with each fill. I have no idea what the guy in the photo was using.

Have only dove with spearfishers a few times in the Keys and in PCB. I have never noticed a cowboy culture. As I remember, they were good divers and respectful to the rest of us. YMMV.
I have seen spearfishermen get on deck and drink a beer before looking at their computer after some deep dives

I have seen spearfishermen get on deck and drink a beer before looking at their computer after some deep dives

Other than to turn it off, I don't really look at my computer after a dive. Am I doing something wrong?

Nobody mentioned the snorkels. Where is the pot stirring emoji.

we don't wear snorkels doing tech dives

For those of you dog piling on Marie, I'm going to say you're in the wrong here. She saw something that was supposedly conducted part of a course, was clearly questionable, and reported it the certification/training agency.

While I might personally believe that what a person does or does not do on their own is really up to them, the job of an instructor is to try and guide/lead/instruct/teach people how to do things in the safest possible way within the guidelines of the training agency they use. When an instructor is doing something clearly outside the guidelines of the agency, the instructor is in the wrong.

Helitrox is 150' maximum. Period.

Right on @kensuf instructors are just people .......people make mistakes but to blatantly break standards and put students at risk is unforgivable , she did what was right ..........strange though no other naui instructor put in a standards breech ,EVEVN thought they are required to do so under there NAUI agreement .............leadership does carry responsibility, even though some don't think so , I lost a 20 year friendship over it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom