Fear of Clearing the Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kerstin:
OK folks: good news! Yesterday was my first lesson and guess what? I successfully cleared the mask in the shallow end. Now mind you, I did not have the equipment on and was holding my breath during this exercise, but I feel it's a step in the right direction as I only got water in my nose once. I think the whole thing is mind over matter. There was one person in the class who just couldn't get it and my symphathy was massive. Going slow is definitely the way for me. More relaxed -- there's something about being on vacation that was pressuring me to do it right, like oh there's only 4 days of this trip left and if I can't pick it up, I'll never be able to and how will I enjoy Honduras? So, now I'm in freezing cold Brooklyn and the pressure is most certainly not on. Anyhoo, next week we put on equipment and then clear the mask w/ regulator on. I feel ready!
Hey Kerstin,

Congratulations!! Now you truly are well on your way:D As you know there are a lot of us in your general vicinity, if you need anything just drop us a line.

Chris

Whooohoo! Congrats!:balsmilie

Welcome to scuba. The adventure begins! :thumb:

Way to go girlfriend! You are definately on your way. Please keep us updated, we're glad you're here. Keep up the good work,
Foo

Kerstin:
OK folks: good news! Yesterday was my first lesson and guess what? I successfully cleared the mask in the shallow end. Now mind you, I did not have the equipment on and was holding my breath during this exercise, but I feel it's a step in the right direction as I only got water in my nose once. I think the whole thing is mind over matter. There was one person in the class who just couldn't get it and my symphathy was massive. Going slow is definitely the way for me. More relaxed -- there's something about being on vacation that was pressuring me to do it right, like oh there's only 4 days of this trip left and if I can't pick it up, I'll never be able to and how will I enjoy Honduras? So, now I'm in freezing cold Brooklyn and the pressure is most certainly not on. Anyhoo, next week we put on equipment and then clear the mask w/ regulator on. I feel ready!

Whoooo Hooooo!!!! It reminds me of my first lesson! :clapping: :monkeydan :new_smili :

I close my eyes whilst mask clearing my eyes are too sensative and smart when they get water in them. I am still not sure if I should have been doing this but no-one said anything.

undefined
Kerstin:
Hi. I went to Honduras last year and enrolled in a three-day intensive PADI training. I freaked out during the shallow water breathing exercise, especially when clearing my mask. Every time I did it I accidently breathed in through my nose, got water up my nose and had to shoot up to the surface to gasp for air. It was so horrible that I didn't finish the training or the certification. I got really frightened of the whole thing.

Now, this Xmas, my boyfriend gave me scuba lessons at the Y. They start on Tuesday and I am already getting nervous about the mask. I have severely impaired vision and am dead scared to take off my mask because it has prescription lenses in it. I tried contacts and it was worse. I never wear them normally and do even worse with them in the water. I know I should relax but I have real issues about being blind and not being able to breathe...

Any advice?

practice practice practice - i go to my BSAC club every weekand every week i practice mask clearing -its not nice -but you become accustomised - if you're a seasonal diver take time at the beginning of the seaon to aclimatise! I dont like mask clearing but i've learned to cope - and it doesn t matter if you wear contacts or have prescription lenses -just shut your eyes!! If not practise with a blacked out mask - or dive in the UK!!

Yes, mouth breathing takes practice. Another skill which is not often taught but valuable is reg coughing. When a little water gets up the nose and down to the throat, don't make that bolt to the surface, just hold your reg and cough away. After convincing yourself that if you take some water the wrong way you can solve the problem submerged the worry factor reduces.

if coughing through your reg killed you, i'd be dead 10 times over.

my ex-smoker lungs love to go into fits in the middle of my dives... happens a lot
less now, thank god.

also... there is the unmentionable.... (barfing through your reg). can be done!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom