Fear of the Unkown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend Roger grew up in SoCal and began snorkeling and diving as a young teenager before becoming an L.A. County lifeguard. One of his best stories took place while he was spearfishing off Catalina when a great white shark swam beneath him and his dive buddy. They both pointed their spearguns at the shark and watched it swim past. "I was scared you were going to shoot at it," Roger said to his buddy. The buddy replied, "I was thinking the same thing."

Sometimes, being alone with your monsters is less risky than when you have company.

Coincidence I am sure, but I just got a kick about that divelight banner add playing over this specific thread while reading it...

For me it's exactly what your title says...fear of the unknown. I have only dove fresh water lakes & rivers too and it's those dark places that always make me nervous. My very first dive after certification was solo in a river that had a hole 50 feet deep and I didn't have a problem with nerves at all. However at the local lake I get all sorts of nervous when I can't see the bottom because I think the lake monster is out to get me even though I know that's ridiculous, but since I can't see the bottom it puts me on edge. I was cleaning a sailboat for a friend once and dropped my suction cup thinking I had secured it and it sunk into the abyss. Decided to try and clean the boat without it, but it was too much of a pain, so I sunk to the bottom thinking I would sink forever. It only ended up being 40 feet deep, but it was one of the scariest descents. As mentioned in a previous comment though if I am with a buddy those fears don't even register. It has nothing to do with any sort of danger or fear of dying, it seems to stem specifically from not knowing what's down in the deep and dark depths of the water.

Hey Guys,

picked up diving a couple of years ago and got since then around 600 dives under meh belt, NDL only. Except for the first 80 sth I dive cold waters exclusively, from lakes to northern norway.

When I started diving solo, quite a few things changed underwater, which is the reason for bringing me here.

Diving solo implements an unreasonable fear of the unknown. When I see a dark shadow underwater (meaning looking downwards) my pulse accelerates and I start to feel ... afraid. Quite afraid. Seeing underwater monsters, expecting Godzilla to show up and things like that. Turning around and swimming backwards makes things somehow easier, but at some point I'd love to see where I go.
I do not account that to being narced, since I never went below 15m solo - of course, a lot of dives I did do with a buddy went down to 39m. I feel reasonable capable of recognising narcosis and it aint the same.

Do you feel similiarily? How do you approach a dive? My dives go a little bit better every time, a little bit further, not really deeper. At some point, I have troubles keeping the drysuit dry, turn around and get out of the water as soon as possible. While that happens, I recognise that it is happening again and smile about myself after being back ashore. But only then. I know 'aborting' the dive is the right choice, but it is annoying being freaked out by foolish stuff.

Do you have any tips / ways to get your mind together?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Hi Sam,

My reply is twofold.
First:
Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the mastery of it. I stole that.

I have hiked in grizzly country and been deep in the cougar woods at zero dark thirty. I have startled sleeping black bears at a range of 4 feet on a moonless night. I have been followed by black bears at a range of 10 in the pitch black night. I have been hundreds of miles to sea in rough conditions. I found the biggest cubs while hunting in Alaska at a range of 12 feet, and then mama stood up from behind the brush. My 270 looked like a BB gun in my lap.

I have made a decision to gladly live my life taking measured risks in order to live life to the fullest.

If the grizzly stalks me, I will shoot it with bear spray, if that does not work, I will just shoot it.

If great whitey wants me as sushi, he is going to have to work for me. I won't be able to put up much of fight, but fight I will. Attacked by Humboldt squid? I have two sharp knives and will gladly flail at them.

Second:
I enjoy diving alone as it is a different experience. I like guided dives with other divers--it is fun. I like solo diving because it is so calming and peaceful.

And, no buddy is going to save you from the worst of your fears. Instead of being a side plate of sushi, great whitey gets sushi and sashimi!

thanks,
markm

Last edited:
I get the impression that a lot of people fear dying with nobody knowing what happened to them. And then there's the problems that have to be dealt with by the living, such as trying to find the body, seeing if the diver pre-paid funeral expenses, and deciding to do a burial without a body, etc.

I get the impression that a lot of people fear dying with nobody knowing what happened to them. And then there's the problems that have to be dealt with by the living, such as trying to find the body, seeing if the diver pre-paid funeral expenses, and deciding to do a burial without a body, etc.

Hi 007,

"Well 007, that's a fine how-do-you-do to the CIA" Felix Lighter.

I think you are right.

I hope my family has received the message that I want to be dumped in the ocean, or off Rubicon Wall. So what's the difference if they dumped me or a tiger shark crapped me out. However, I come from a line of explorers, so it may be unspoken knowledge in our family.

But, others don't think that way and that is fine.

markm

Last edited:
Hi 007,

"Well 007, that's a fine how-do-you-do to the CIA" Felix Lighter.

I think you are right.

I hope my family has received the message that I want to be dumped in the ocean, or off Rubicon Wall. So what's the difference if they dumped me or a tiger shark crapped me out. However, I come from a line of explorers, so it may be unspoken knowledge in our family.

But, others don't think that way and that is fine.

markm

Yes, I feel pretty much the same way about it :)

What did you change to overcome that fear? How did you cope with it?

I think a lot of it was owed to the "OMG I'm going to die today because I'm alone!", that is somewhat imprinted in your mind, as another user already noted. Driving to the dive site and thinking "wow, these are actually the last steps I take in my life, my last 5 minutes on earth, who would have known" - that was really awful.

Once I got over this, I pretty much enjoyed my dives.

Just to reiterate tough, you WILL DIE if you do something stupid... so remember your training.

Last edited:
For me it's exactly what your title says...fear of the unknown. I have only dove fresh water lakes & rivers too and it's those dark places that always make me nervous.

You should try night diving. The water is pitch black from the get-go, you have to use your flashlights just to get into the water. Meaning no gradient from light to black, none of this eerie green glow fading as you go down.

Except when something "bumps" you while you're night diving solo...I stopped solo night dives here due to that - hmmm someone's going to find my car and have to tell my family...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom