Feature request for rebreather HUD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

Great company, terrific customer service. I have used nothing but Shearwater dive computers for many years (two Petrels, a NERD1 and a JJ controller). I know that you sometimes consider feature requests, not sure if this is under consideration or even feasible.

Some rebreather HUDs have a "buddy light", where an alarm status (e.g. hypoxia or hyperoxia) is also displayed on the outside of the HUD, to notify a buddy if the diver ignores or misses an alert.

Is that something that could be added to the NERD in some upcoming version? Just a single red LED anywhere on the external case...

I've got 2 Predators, an old Shearwater HUD, and 2 Petrel II CCs. The only display that I never use is the HUD and I would never buy a Nerd in any version as long as I can't mount it on my arm.
The last thing I want while diving in a cave is a computer shining on one of my eyes.
Don't want a Nerd, my only reason to buy a Nerd dirt cheap would be to resell it at a profit so whatever bells and whistles you want to add to it and can't live without are something that I have no interest in.
Since the Nerd is constantly shining on one of your eyes what advantage would you have if your buddy was getting your emergency information too? Learn to be responsible for your own mistakes and you'll end up being a better diver because of it, or should your car have a 4th emergency braking sytem too?

Michael

Lot to unpack there, but I’m not going to bother. Thanks for the reply. Several HUD manufacturers disagree with you.

If you are interested, check out the video in the link, and read about the neurological effects of hypoxia, hypercapnea and hyperoxia on “being responsible”. And read the recent study on French military rebreather divers, 57 cases of loss of consciousness, with 54 surviving because of buddy action.

Finally, not sure if you have ever dived with a NERD or not, but it’s not what you describe.

....recent study on French military rebreather divers, 57 cases of loss of consciousness, with 54 surviving because of buddy action.

I will have to look that up.. but I have heard of cases where buddies were able to notice a notice a CCR diver that needed to get off the loop and were to impaired to react.

I am going with a Nerd2 soon and do wish it had the “buddy alert” signal.

I will have to look that up.. but I have heard of cases where buddies were able to notice a notice a CCR diver that needed to get off the loop and were to impaired to react.

I am going with a Nerd2 soon and do wish it had the “buddy alert” signal.

Here you go!

They were using gag straps, which I don't use, so maybe not a completely apt comparison. But there certainly are reports of this being picked up when a diver is impaired but still on the loop.

The NERD is awesome, especially for photographers who want to watch their PO2 while setting up shots, without continually breaking form to look at their wrist. I was amazed at how unobtrusive it is, it's there when you need it, not distracting at all. I don't cave dive, but would think that it would be handy there as well, when navigating restrictions.

Very cool to use with the compass, much better for navigation than having to swim with your wrist at right angles in front of you. And it's your backup deco information and HUD in one piece.

Mike do you use AI to monitor o2/Dil?

No, not at all. In fact, one of the things that I like about the JJ is that the SPGs are tucked out of the way. Other than a boom drill, I never look at them during a dive.

I have had a lot of issues with AI on OC in the past, and I see that even Shearwater had a recall on their transmitter. I just don't see the point, certainly not on CCR.

No, not at all. In fact, one of the things that I like about the JJ is that the SPGs are tucked out of the way. Other than a boom drill, I never look at them during a dive.

Maybe it’s more about cave diving, with some caves are more of a roller coaster, like peacock.. but I like to keep my eye on my DIL. With shoulder mounted CLs.. seeing my gauges is not as easy as I would like. I’m am planning to add the AI transmitters to the Nerd2 at some point.

The link doesn't work.

The only French study I remember wasn't looking at the efficacy of buddy awareness as much as it was the efficacy of maintaining the divers airway through the use of either a gag strap or FFM. The idea being that when you DO have an issue, preventing drowning by keeping the loop in your mouth gave you a much higher chance of survival.

Basically, if rebreather divers die because they spit out the loop and drown when you have a problem, if you can keep the loop in your mouth and maintain an airway, you've got a better chance of recovering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom