Feature request — monitor mode for DiveCAN controllers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
@Shearwater, it would be great to add an advanced setting for CCR controllers that allows to use them as monitors (plugged on the OBOE) circuit. When in this mode, the main screen will show in yellow “Monitor” in the same spot where it currently shows “No solenoid” and “No O2 sensor)

Good luck. I tired for a while to figure out how to have a second petrel plugged into my JJ's divecan 5pin plug for the HUD to act as a monitor only but its just not possible.

Ahhh the joys of an MCCR...
My Triton that I ripped out the horrible Monox and wired in a second Petrel.
1691469548435.png

On the Optima it is possible already now. Only small anoiance is the error message on the controller plugged on the OBOE. A part from that, it all works as expected.

Good luck. I tired for a while to figure out how to have a second petrel plugged into my JJ's divecan 5pin plug for the HUD to act as a monitor only but its just not possible.

Ahhh the joys of an MCCR...
My Triton that I ripped out the horrible Monox and wired in a second Petrel.
Diving the Triton mCCR for a year now (former JJ-CCR diver), I am really happy with the Triton - except for the Monox which is a real pain.

I was also thinking about maybe replacing the Monox with an analog Shearwater hud or a Petrel/Nerd.
The hud would probably not work well for me, because we also dive mountain lakes round here and the hud doesn‘t calibrate well at altitude. So Petrel or Nerd.
After reading your post about ripping off the Monox, I couldn‘t resist to ask:

Did you do the change yourself or was it done by M3S?
Is it Fisher cables, or AK 4pin?
Used a gland and extended a cut cable, or a complete re-sealing of the head?

I would in no way make you responsible for the effects that your answers may have on my Triton or my diving .-)
It would be very kind of you if you could help me with these questions.

Diving the Triton mCCR for a year now (former JJ-CCR diver), I am really happy with the Triton - except for the Monox which is a real pain.

I was also thinking about maybe replacing the Monox with an analog Shearwater hud or a Petrel/Nerd.
The hud would probably not work well for me, because we also dive mountain lakes round here and the hud doesn‘t calibrate well at altitude. So Petrel or Nerd.
After reading your post about ripping off the Monox, I couldn‘t resist to ask:

Did you do the change yourself or was it done by M3S?
Is it Fisher cables, or AK 4pin?
Used a gland and extended a cut cable, or a complete re-sealing of the head?

I would in no way make you responsible for the effects that your answers may have on my Triton or my diving .-)
It would be very kind of you if you could help me with these questions.

Behold the dual Petrel Triton.

1698553522093.jpeg

Yes you literally just remove the entire Monox and the HUD as the HUD will not work with you the Monox (it gets its signal from the Monox)

You will have to do it yourself. No way M3S would support this, plus im sure it voids the CE rating as it is no longer a ”factory unit“ The French think that Monox is so great... Also Patrice from M3S is horrible to deal with…

It is just a stock Petrel hardwired directly in where the Monox use to be via a gland, nothing special. The head is not potted so it’s literally just the 3 cell cables coming in to the splitter and Molex cell clips. But I’m sure if you wanted you could go 4 pin. I kind of wish I did this then I could at lease share that computer between 2 units. I have another Unit that is an AK 4 pin so it would have saved me from buying another Petrel if I could have just used this one.

Now the ultimate upgrade that I am toying around with the idea of is to cut off the Molex clips and put on SMB connectors and pour potting into the head. Basically the same thing Fathom has done with there SW head.

Behold the dual Petrel Triton.

View attachment 808048

Yes you literally just remove the entire Monox and the HUD as the HUD will not work with you the Monox (it gets its signal from the Monox)

You will have to do it yourself. No way M3S would support this, plus im sure it voids the CE rating as it is no longer a ”factory unit“ The French think that Monox is so great... Also Patrice from M3S is horrible to deal with…

It is just a stock Petrel hardwired directly in where the Monox use to be via a gland, nothing special. The head is not potted so it’s literally just the 3 cell cables coming in to the splitter and Molex cell clips. But I’m sure if you wanted you could go 4 pin. I kind of wish I did this then I could at lease share that computer between 2 units. I have another Unit that is an AK 4 pin so it would have saved me from buying another Petrel if I could have just used this one.

Now the ultimate upgrade that I am toying around with the idea of is to cut off the Molex clips and put on SMB connectors and pour potting into the head. Basically the same thing Fathom has done with there SW head.
Thanks for the info, that helps me. unfortunately my head is potted, it's from 2022.

It has nuts on the cable under the heat shrink. Since I'm not exactly gifted for crafts I have a bit of respect for trying to loosen the nut.

I'll try to ask M3S, they can not say more than nope. Maybe they offer some help, or at least tell me if and what sort of connector is under the heat shrink.

Attachments

• PXL_20231029_151544912.jpg
    PXL_20231029_151544912.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 39
You where right, absolutely no chance with M3S.
I consider now selling it and buying another mCCR.
Pitty there are not many on the market. Thinking about the Fathom CCR now.

I now bought a second hand Fathom mCCR. Very good machine.
My Triton is up for sale on Facebook Rebreathers for sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom