Feb-March, looking for relatively easy diving: Bali + Ambon, or Manado + Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Grateful for your collective views. We know we will be hitting Bali in mid-March after a solar eclipse cruise. From a logistical point of view, it might make sense either to hit Manado beforehand, i.e. late February, via Singapore, or to hit Manado afterwards, or to hit Ambon afterwards (Denpasar - Makassar - Ambon flights exist, right? Then we can get back to Singapore somehow?).

We don't _think_ we are muck fans. Mr T will have been out of the water for well over a year by that point, so he wants diving that is not super technically challenging. We were thinking Tulamben, maybe one other spot on Bali (not Nusa Lembongan this time though), and as I say, either Manado for Bunaken/Bangka/very short taste of Lembeh, or just Ambon. Ruling out Komodo due to current and Raja Ampat due to the challenge of getting that far. Also, after nine days on a cruise, will not really want a liveaboard.

Advice appreciated.

One thing to keep in mind if you are going in and out from different airports. You can get FRee visa on arrival into both Bali and Jakarta however you have to pay USD $35 in Manado. Now here is where it gets tricky... if you arrive in Bali and get a free visa on arrival but then plan on leaving from Manado they won't let you as they don't recognize that free visa on arrival and will tell you to fly to Jakarta or Bali. Therefore, if you plan on leaving the country from Manado be sure that you pay for a visa on arrival even if you arrive into Bali or Jakarta (just tell them that you want to pay for one). I have no idea why they are doing it this way....
Yes, you can fly to Ambon from Bali either via Makassar or Surabaya. Also, can fly Ambon to Manado via Makassar

Tulamben and Amed are a great combination for a nice taste of Bali diving, a great mix of the wreck, some black sand and some very nice reefs.

Tulamben and Amed are a great combination for a nice taste of Bali diving, a great mix of the wreck, some black sand and some very nice reefs.

I second Mike's opinion. Plus as you will be on Bali no need to take another flight- which in Indonesia depending on the time of day can mean long flight delays, the later in the day the more likely your flight will be delayed.
Tulamben and Amed will give you some really nice reefs, the Liberty wreck, and a chance to wet your whistle with a muck dive or two to see if you like it. I tell muck newbies to bring a
magnifying glass to look at the really small critters. And then you have beautiful Bali topside attractions of rice paddies, culture, and beautiful architecture.

Manado/Bunaken has really nice walls/reefs and easy transfer to Lembeh, but since you aren't sure if you like muck why go thru the trouble. Save it for another time and do
a Lembeh/Bunaken/Komodo liveaboard trip which is one of my favorite Indonesia itineraries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom