Feedback on DIY 10,000 lumen dive video lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like the project. Am not experienced enough to really chime in, but hope you don't mind I offer these thoughts anyway - and I have a way to find the thread again...
-- why four output steps, why not 5 (just curious)?
- why 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%... why vary the output step width in F-stop terms? Why not have the step width e.g. in constant 1 F-stop size? E.g.: 100%, 50%, 25%, 12%, (& 6% if 5 steps)
Added benefit: that lower setting to let you check something on yourself or very nearby (or tight passage) or ... w/o going completely blind or having to use another light ... and plenty of runtime if not needed on high.
- so, you are diving along, not filming or taking pics., frugal miser that you are with your lights on a lower setting (or off) and you realize you must take a pic of something or film something that instant.... how do you get to high with one button push / slide / turn from where ever the lights were set to? (As in a 4 or position hall effect slider or rotator with end stop would be a lot nicer than having to cycle thru modes, or a dedicated button per mode). Extra bonus: one button that does both lights (yeah, I know...)
- blue... for fluoro diving or another purpose? If yes, best wavelength for it? How does the output compare to other blue lights? Power levels on that ... or no?
- I use my red lights at times (for observing, not filming), just because it seems less bothering to some wildlife than white.... may go the route of getting flashes (photography obviously, not video) where the red focus light goes off the instant the flash goes on (not sure if the flash wouldn't drown it in either case) Curious: might video lights that strong also be used for still photography.... if yes than that would be a nice added feature.
- depth rating: I suspect the market for this powerful a video light not rated to at least closer to 300' might be quite smaller than if it was rated quite there. Not only for tech divers also for people who take comfort in having plenty of rating margin on stuff they spend mone on.
- charging batteries / changing for another set of charged ones: How long, how many screws, how many seals, what seal configuration, how safe against inadvertent seal twisting, dislocating (e.g. ring in barrel groove usual dive light) vs."loose ring" in perimeter grove (camera housing)) , pinching?
- replacement seals easily obtainable?
-housing does it look like it's clear in the pics (on phone)? If so, why not thermally more conductive... like anodized or hard anodized alu?
- hall effect switch: I have a cheap light with issues that has a slider version that is engineered such that it will slide to on with certainty if you leave the batteries in your light while off. Had to add a means of locking it. Anyway a way to keep the light off for sure, when the intent is to do that would be nice.
- individual batteries vs. battery pack: so far I always get to display my individually bagged 18650s and 26650s on the airport to the TSA or whatever a local authority may be called. They are the size they are, they look like batteries, they are clearly labelled... I wonder how much more complicated that might get with a battery pack and at which point some local authority chooses to decide that now it's theirs because it exceeds some arbitrary capacity... Also, my charger may claim to get each individual battery to "full"... how would that work when charging a pack...? The individual cells don't all behave the same -or?

Thanks for the feedback! Tried to answer all your questions below!

With regards to the steps it’s something that actually bothers me about some other lights. For example the ones I use have 6 different settings, but I mainly only use 1, and practically would only ever use 3 of them. It’s annoying to have to cycle through all the other ones and it actually takes away from the user experience. That being said, the other modes are a “feature” that someone else out there will legitimately have a practical use for. I’d actually like to make it so the user can customize their settings to suit their specific usage needs. The user could program in their own preset brightness's in the manner they would actually use them instead of having settings that they wouldn't use. There will already be small atmel microcontroller running the light itself (current control, temp monitoring, user input, etc), but that could be easily programmed like an arduino. There would be some amount of programming background knowledge needed however an arudino library of some sort could be made to make things easier. People could also create and share settings/profiles. Currently I'll be programming the lights using a secondary arduinoISP, however if this feature would be pretty popular a usb interface could be added.

That being said it’s currently a one button system. Having a different user input interface such as a ring/slide as you suggested would make the user experience much more natural. I’ve thought about it while designing and I think a magnetic ring with detents that twists around would be pretty nice to have. However unfortunately at least for the first prototypes I wanted to only have one sensor to keep things simple and opted for the 1 button system. Definitely would consider adding it on future designs

Yup, the blue LED’s are for fluorescence diving. Various sealife fluoresce at different wavelengths from UV all the way up to green I believe. I selected 450nm based off of some articles online. 450nm seems to get the largest variety of fluorescence. UV can actually damage coral.

For depth rating I’m using an off the shelf tube housing for the main body from Blue Robotics. They say it’s been tested up to 100m, though I don’t think they guarantee it. I’d be pretty comfortable to 33m though. I'll take the prototype on a dive with me this weekend and see if there are any issues.

O-rings should be easy to replace. For the main body Blue Robotics has each set available for $3. The lens O-ring I got form McMaster and is an industry standard size. Dash number 132.

Yup, current housing is clear as it’s an off-the shelf housing body. I considered getting some aluminum tube stock of the same dimensions but would have to machine/finish the inside of the tube smooth. Stock tube doesn’t come very smooth on the inside which could cause leaks for the O-ring. While it would improve heat transfer out, I don’t think it would be highly effective. The tube body goes through two seals before mating with the main front plate so there isn’t a great thermal conduction pathway. Heat would have to reach the main body through convection/radiation.

Current user interface is a magnetic slide switch with a spring. Intention is that each push forward would count as a “button press” The spring would push it back off of the Hall Effect sensor as a “button release” action. Each button cycling would change the mode, where one of them is off. I also considered adding a hard reed switch as a mechanical way to open the circuit instead of having the atmel fully control it.

For the battery pack I’m planning to change to a 4s2p 8x 18650 configuration. Since there will be pairs of cells you’ll need to charge it as a pack. Putting differently charged cells in parallel with each other is not good for them. To charge them as a pack you’ll need a charge balancer that makes sure each group of cells in series get charged to the same degree. If you have cells that are all in series it’s ok to separate them and charge them individually. Ideally all the cells would behave the same else certain ones will be stressed more than others. Good quality cells won’t have as much of a problem with this as some lesser quality ones. Not too sure on the TSA issue.

Thanks for the feedback! Tried to answer all your questions below!

With regards to the steps it’s something that actually bothers me about some other lights. For example the ones I use have 6 different settings, but I mainly only use 1, and practically would only ever use 3 of them. It’s annoying to have to cycle through all the other ones and it actually takes away from the user experience. That being said, the other modes are a “feature” that someone else out there will legitimately have a practical use for. I’d actually like to make it so the user can customize their settings to suit their specific usage needs. The user could program in their own preset brightness's in the manner they would actually use them instead of having settings that they wouldn't use. There will already be small atmel microcontroller running the light itself (current control, temp monitoring, user input, etc), but that could be easily programmed like an arduino. There would be some amount of programming background knowledge needed however an arudino library of some sort could be made to make things easier. People could also create and share settings/profiles. Currently I'll be programming the lights using a secondary arduinoISP, however if this feature would be pretty popular a usb interface could be added.

That being said it’s currently a one button system. Having a different user input interface such as a ring/slide as you suggested would make the user experience much more natural. I’ve thought about it while designing and I think a magnetic ring with detents that twists around would be pretty nice to have. However unfortunately at least for the first prototypes I wanted to only have one sensor to keep things simple and opted for the 1 button system. Definitely would consider adding it on future designs

Yup, the blue LED’s are for fluorescence diving. Various sealife fluoresce at different wavelengths from UV all the way up to green I believe. I selected 450nm based off of some articles online. 450nm seems to get the largest variety of fluorescence. UV can actually damage coral.

For depth rating I’m using an off the shelf tube housing for the main body from Blue Robotics. They say it’s been tested up to 100m, though I don’t think they guarantee it. I’d be pretty comfortable to 33m though. I'll take the prototype on a dive with me this weekend and see if there are any issues.

O-rings should be easy to replace. For the main body Blue Robotics has each set available for $3. The lens O-ring I got form McMaster and is an industry standard size. Dash number 132.

Yup, current housing is clear as it’s an off-the shelf housing body. I considered getting some aluminum tube stock of the same dimensions but would have to machine/finish the inside of the tube smooth. Stock tube doesn’t come very smooth on the inside which could cause leaks for the O-ring. While it would improve heat transfer out, I don’t think it would be highly effective. The tube body goes through two seals before mating with the main front plate so there isn’t a great thermal conduction pathway. Heat would have to reach the main body through convection/radiation.

Current user interface is a magnetic slide switch with a spring. Intention is that each push forward would count as a “button press” The spring would push it back off of the Hall Effect sensor as a “button release” action. Each button cycling would change the mode, where one of them is off. I also considered adding a hard reed switch as a mechanical way to open the circuit instead of having the atmel fully control it.

For the battery pack I’m planning to change to a 4s2p 8x 18650 configuration. Since there will be pairs of cells you’ll need to charge it as a pack. Putting differently charged cells in parallel with each other is not good for them. To charge them as a pack you’ll need a charge balancer that makes sure each group of cells in series get charged to the same degree. If you have cells that are all in series it’s ok to separate them and charge them individually. Ideally all the cells would behave the same else certain ones will be stressed more than others. Good quality cells won’t have as much of a problem with this as some lesser quality ones. Not too sure on the TSA issue.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I think you are right about too many settings. I really only used the highest and lowest (and red) on my lights so far (they top out at a rayed 2600 lm so) And maybe if, when I get into macro there could be a need for the inbetween levels.
Did not know you found a finished stock tube... that makes sense to get started.
Wish you that all goes well with the upcoming test dive.

Last edited:
Update:

Power control board has finished being designed and first batch for prototypes are on order!
SLS nylon parts for the 8x18650 battery pack are on order too!

FDdnpfd.png

GpshpaG.png

After quite a bit of procrastination I finally finished a light!

There are definitely some things that aren't great about it.. changing the battery is a pain..and some of the monitoring elements like temperature and current never got implemented. The magnetic switch and control worked well though. I'm also super happy with the results and photos i was able to take with it! The color came out nicely for LED (Used a gopro taking video and getting screen grabs)

I took the light diving in Monterey and Carmel this past weekend. I programmed it to only cycle through 75%, 50%, and 25% power. With the cold water of Monterey I didn't feel the heatsink get very warm underwater. I'll try and program it to go the full 100% for the next trip...probably should implement the temperature sensing as well for that :). I used it fairly sparingly as I didn't want to have to open it up during the trip and didn't have a practical way to charge it while camping. I mainly only used it when I was taking video with the gopro during the dives. It got through 5 dives over two days and was only about half discharged. Typically shot full 75% brightness during the day and 25% was more than bright enough for the night dive.

In action!
xpMys77.jpg

Full assembly:
NG7jIrt.jpg

Various parts:
d9bc0wT.jpg

heatsink assembly:
wPPrCbD.jpg

the control board:
nidbOqW.jpg

battery pack:
NyZ3S9E.jpg

Monterey with no lights: (gopro poor white balance...)
eM6vYhC.jpg

Monterey with Light!
T2e6Qe2.jpg

0% power:
nApRSeH.jpg

25% power:
piqMId0.jpg

50% power:
NGLqkEn.jpg

75% power:
os0DfZ9.jpg

Some untouched screen grabs:
032fymQ.jpg

3ASFcmQ.jpg
3cHYO5U.jpg
IFLR63j.jpg
F3Q0Q7u.jpg

Woow, great job! :) What's the cost if you woul build them for sell? It's a little too bulky for my taste but besides that :clapping:

Woow, great job! :) What's the cost if you woul build them for sell? It's a little too bulky for my taste but besides that :clapping:

Heh, based on how long it took to make just one I don't think I would build and sell them unless there was a lot of interest. Would definitely have to do a rev 02 to fix some basic quality of life issues to make it an actual viable product too. Definitely is intriguing but my day job keeps me busy enough. Overall BOM cost for this version was around $300-$500 depending on how you are counting though. Will eventually build a couple more which I have parts for, one to make a pair for myself, and another that I owe to my buddy who did the electrical board design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom