Suggestion Feedback on keeping ScubaBoard members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
gypsyjim

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is directed at all members, new and old. It is actually a multiple part question, and is designed to get us all thinking about what ScubaBoard is, or could be for someone just discovering us today or tomorrow.

Two weeks ago on Utila Colleen and I were part of 4 couples with no previous contact who were diving on the same boat for a week, so we had lots of time to chat. It turned out that 5 (6 including myself) of the 9 divers including the DM, were all members of ScubaBoard at one time or another, but I was the only actively participating SM user.

A subsequent conversation with a friend who is also a moderator, has had me thinking about this, so here are my questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What attracted you to ScubaBoard in the first place?

2) Are you satisfied that the board addresses your needs adequately? And if not what would you change, if you could to make it do so

3) Why do you think other folks who have joined, have not stayed around?

4) Do you have ideas on what the board either did not provide well, or what might have done to scare them away, without becoming participating members?

5) Do you have ideas or suggestions of new ways to both attract and keep new members, new divers involved, and satisfied with this forum?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

I will start by adding my own 2 cents.

I discovered SB while researching a dive trip back in '05, and was not a terribly active member for some time. I did though, find the info I was seeking.

I did soon after that did make some friends on the board, as both DeputyDan and Herman offered advice and invited my family to join their group for a trip to Bonaire.

I also later asked for underwater photography advice, and got a lot of help from such diverse members as ScubaSteve and DandyDon, who were more than willing to help a struggling novice.

I had a few conflicts in some of the threads along the way, especially early on, with some of the more vocal know it alls, but while that slowed me down a bit and kept me quiet, it did not scare me off. I just spent more time lurking till I became more comfortable standing up for my beliefs, and not afraid of the loud mouths. It just took me time to realize by lurking that they were a small minority, and not particularly as well respected universally as they might have thought, which made me feel less the outsider.

(Note) I think a lot of that 'know it all' attitude seems to have disappeared from the boards, or at least become far less of an issue. I heard a lot of feedback from non member divers between '95 and about 2000 that this "slamming of 'stupid questions' " was a big turn off, but I do not sense this same complaint from my more recent contactsd, when discussing SB. Now it seems more like SB is not supplying what divers are seeking, and they are just moving on to other sources of info.

I know many folks have moved on to FB, but while I enjoy FB a lot myself, I have never seen it as having the potential to reach as many divers, or to serve as a useful search base for dive related questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think too many of the Moderastors on Scubaboard, are destructive to the final result.....While there is a real need for moderators, too many use personal agendas to determine their moderating behaviors---and too many of these agendas are detrimental to SB.

Also, moderators will typically see someone begin bashing another member, and then put sanctions on both the attacker and the victim that is attempting to defend himself or herself.....The key here, is that the board needs lively and engaging debates to maintain interest, but what it does not need is individuals being snotty and mean-spirited, or that make personal attacks. The moderators should focus on the attacks--and the people making attacks, and not on the general conversation threads when they have merit ( if hundreds or thousands of views exist, clearly they have merit, and clearly the people in the thread like the topic).
As I have been on the receiving side of this lately, when one member makes personal attacks, I think a SB member has the right to defend themselves....and I think it is ridiculous that the victim in this attack get's sanctioned or banned--as I was in the fins, masks and snorkels forum because I tried to defend myself from Bob's constant attacks ---and I was consistently going in the direction of the thread content, whereas Bob kept going for the personal insults....and then you have moderators that play favorites with SB members, and make choices in moderation that are NOT in the best interest of the board.

I hate it when the moderators take it upon themselves to decide a heavily viewed thread has diverged from the topic, and the moderator moves posts out---I don't think this should be allowed, unless there is a large number of viewers requesting this.

Last edited:
1) I was attracted to the site because there was a LOT to learn from it. Being a new diver and someone who studies subjects of interest to no end, the site offered a lot. Scuba is not a textbook sport and there's a lot to be learned from the experiences of others.

2) Don't change it, it would be damaging to the site.

3) I think it takes a certain type of person to visit a site regularly. Some will do it, other's won't. I've met divers which reference the existence of the site, but I know they don't visit regularly. I do know they'll use it as a tool on occasion, but by no means could they be called regulars. Posting on the site is a side hobby which will interest some and not others.

4) There are some aggressive forums, near misses, mishap analysis etc, where some new members share and then get slammed for lack of preparation. But changing the rules would take away from what's special in those topics.

5) Look, this site is extremely active. This is NOT an easy thing to achieve. I've had websites in the past and attracting activity to this level is special. Look at other diving sites and they don't get near the traffic of this one. My only advice would be to become more local. Have scuba board clubs or something with chapters wherever someone is willing to run one. Or coordinate regular meetups for dives. I've met a lot of posters because of local themed threads (ie Blue Heron Bridge). I've used this to network and find dive buddies. I love that I can meet and dive with the people I'm posting with. There's got to be a reason the BHB thread is so popular...

I'd also like to add that I hear a lot of divers also say that they read the forums a lot, but never post. It could just be the nature of their personality, but know that they are there.

The most difficult part I've had with diving is finding reliable dive buddies. Make that easier and you'll attract new divers regularly. Good luck and don't sink the ship by making changes :)

Change happens. We can not stop change from happening, but not all change is bad, or good.

The idea is can anything be improved, and see what members have to say.

Not being staff, I can not change a thing, but if we regular members can chat civilly about what we like, or changes we do think might help, maybe we can help make the board even more useful and welcoming.

I think it's a natural progression and has nothing to do with what on SB could be improved.

My guess is that, like me, most divers initially registered on SB because they were looking for an answer to some specific question. Some of them might become intrigued and frequent SB for a while, but only a small percentage end up becoming regular posters. Newly certified divers might stop by now and then for a few years as additional questions arise--probably mainly relating to trip planning, etc.--but after a few years the majority of them will either be settled in their dive travel routines or will have dropped out of diving altogether. I know a number of divers who just aren't the types to hang out on on-line forums of any kind (other than general social media like Facebook), even if they might have stopped by SB once or twice to ask a question when they were less experienced. The divers I'm most closely acquainted with are content to take their annual dive trip, content with their gear and other aspects of their diving, at that's that as far as they're concerned.

I was looking for…..a rebuild kit for my ScubaPro reg if I remember right. I think I Googled it or something and Scubaboard came up.

It took a while to learn about this internet communication and talking to people the way I would if they were in front of me. Maybe that's why some people leave. ??

Now I come to see off topic threads and posts from members that I have come to know. I mean, every question about every gear and dive site has been asked on here at least …..a bunch of times. But I enjoy a core group of posters that are regulars here.

This is the only ACTIVE worldwide message board about scuba diving. While there are others, I'll never see an answer to my question. The volume of posts is the most attractive part of this.

2) Are you satisfied that the board addresses your needs adequately? And if not what would you change, if you could to make it do so
Yes, and the fact that more taboo topics are still able to be talked about, albeit requiring requesting membership to certain groups.

Some members can be opinionated and overwhelming. If you spend any time on message boards, you grow a thick skin and stick around. If you're new to message boards, this place can be overwhelming.

4) Do you have ideas on what the board either did not provide well, or what might have done to scare them away, without becoming participating members?
​Nothing against this board in particular, just the nature of the internet and people that want to hear what they want to hear, and not much else.

5) Do you have ideas or suggestions of new ways to both attract and keep new members, new divers involved, and satisfied with this forum?
Keep everything as-is; I wouldn't make any major changes.

I had a question and a friend told me to search SB

I wouldn't change anything.

I believe many came with a question and once it was answered they left but some were berated for asking questions that have been ask before and didn't want to put up with that kind of treatment.

I believe the board provides a nice platform for discussions, what scares them away? Probably the rudeness that some members display.

No, I wish I did. I like to come here and see whats happening and the more views, ideas and site reports the better.

Good questions Jim

​I was just getting back into diving after a two year hiatus and surfing the web for what was new in diving and came across this site.

I enjoy chatting with many people on this board, have met and dived with a few like minded individuals, as well as finding some great information and advice. Hope to meet up and dive with more SBrs in the future too

Drifters :D

Well there are a few stroppy people online, not only on this board but on many others too related to completely different subjects, probably scares some people off, or it could just be their nature not to post and just to read.

Personally I think there is plenty here to involve most divers, I barely scratch the surface of it myself

Initially joined SB as I had decided to become more active as a diver. Reading opinions about dive locations and equipment fascinated me. Over time I had visited those sites and had made decisions on whether to modify my gear or not. That just left the people. There are people on SB that I consider very good friends. Some of them I have had the privilege to meet in person, others not. It's the non-diving threads where I interact with my friends that brings me back. If I only came to SB for scuba info, I'd treat it like reference book. It would stay on the shelf, unused, until another question arose.

Whatever the mods do on SB, don't mess with the threads that build relationships between members, even if the thread is not in your taste, leave it alone. Otherwise there will be additional abandonment. That would be a shame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom