Suggestion Feedback on keeping ScubaBoard members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
gypsyjim

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is directed at all members, new and old. It is actually a multiple part question, and is designed to get us all thinking about what ScubaBoard is, or could be for someone just discovering us today or tomorrow.

Two weeks ago on Utila Colleen and I were part of 4 couples with no previous contact who were diving on the same boat for a week, so we had lots of time to chat. It turned out that 5 (6 including myself) of the 9 divers including the DM, were all members of ScubaBoard at one time or another, but I was the only actively participating SM user.

A subsequent conversation with a friend who is also a moderator, has had me thinking about this, so here are my questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What attracted you to ScubaBoard in the first place?

2) Are you satisfied that the board addresses your needs adequately? And if not what would you change, if you could to make it do so

3) Why do you think other folks who have joined, have not stayed around?

4) Do you have ideas on what the board either did not provide well, or what might have done to scare them away, without becoming participating members?

5) Do you have ideas or suggestions of new ways to both attract and keep new members, new divers involved, and satisfied with this forum?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

I will start by adding my own 2 cents.

I discovered SB while researching a dive trip back in '05, and was not a terribly active member for some time. I did though, find the info I was seeking.

I did soon after that did make some friends on the board, as both DeputyDan and Herman offered advice and invited my family to join their group for a trip to Bonaire.

I also later asked for underwater photography advice, and got a lot of help from such diverse members as ScubaSteve and DandyDon, who were more than willing to help a struggling novice.

I had a few conflicts in some of the threads along the way, especially early on, with some of the more vocal know it alls, but while that slowed me down a bit and kept me quiet, it did not scare me off. I just spent more time lurking till I became more comfortable standing up for my beliefs, and not afraid of the loud mouths. It just took me time to realize by lurking that they were a small minority, and not particularly as well respected universally as they might have thought, which made me feel less the outsider.

(Note) I think a lot of that 'know it all' attitude seems to have disappeared from the boards, or at least become far less of an issue. I heard a lot of feedback from non member divers between '95 and about 2000 that this "slamming of 'stupid questions' " was a big turn off, but I do not sense this same complaint from my more recent contactsd, when discussing SB. Now it seems more like SB is not supplying what divers are seeking, and they are just moving on to other sources of info.

I know many folks have moved on to FB, but while I enjoy FB a lot myself, I have never seen it as having the potential to reach as many divers, or to serve as a useful search base for dive related questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a stroke with some cool gear.

... and a bigass speargun. You can't fool me, dude ... I've seen you underwater ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes it would ... and I apologize, Jim, for derailing your thread. I probably should've just stuck with the decision I made a couple weeks ago to sit this one out. Hard to do, however, when I keep getting hammered for a conversation I wasn't participating in, and for a post I didn't make.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 12:33 PM ----------

... participating ... and once they post in a thread they can't moderate it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am not taking it personally. It is all interesting, and educational.

The dialog does show some of both the strengths and the pitfalls of an online forum like ours. It actually added something we can learn from.
Maybe...

I had to skip a lot of this thread prior to getting my two cents in.

I found this forum when I was looking for information on scuba prior to OW. I found that most of the basic advice is along the lines of common sense and per the instruction I initially go in OW.

I have no idea why people leave, and why more people don't post. For my, I post on things that I know about (not much), or about experiences I have had when that is requested.

I wish the search function was better. I have started a few threads asking a simple question with a giant caveat of "I searched and found nothing" and still got the "search is your friend" message.

I will keep coming back as long as I am diving. I am here to listen to different points of view (tech stuff and their mantras) and to find out about good places to dive. Finally, I have found a mentor on this board. That would not have happened without SB.

My goal with SB is to give back when I can. I have gotten so much good information (using my "common sense" filter to push out the bad) that it would be a disservice to not provide information if I ever get to the point where I can provide it.

When I saw John's post I thought it would make a good discussion ... but perhaps not here. So I stayed out of it. However, since you called me out for a post I didn't make, let me just offer my opinion anyway.

I think you're conflating two completely different topics ... one I agree with and one I don't.

The one I agree with is that when you see someone gearing up in a way that indicates they're not putting their gear together right, or they're doing things in a way that might lead to problems (e.g. not securing regs and/or consoles), ask them if they'd mind some advice, and help them get better squared away.

The one I don't agree with is that you necessarily at that point should be having any discussion with them about what gear you use. It's not particularly relevent to them at this particular time ... since they can't go running off the boat and go buy that gear before the next dive. That's a discussion for much later ... if at all. The priority at this point is to help them get squared away ... particularly if you're contemplating going underwater with them.
Actually, I see this the same way you do...( now if that isn't disturbing :) ).....When I have to show a poorly configured diver that his tank is about to come off, I just do this, and try to help make them feel that it could have happened to anyone....if I can think of a good "trick" to prevent this again, I would share it..that is kind of gear dependent....I would NOT want to even consider discussing what is wrong with one BC or another here....wrong place, wrong time....and bad zen.

I never assume that someone else either needs to or wants to follow my gear choices. If they show an interest, I'll happily explain why I made them ... but not in a way that denigrates their own choices. If I see them struggling underwater and I think a gear change might help them I'll offer it up after the dive ... and explain to them why they might want to consider it.
I could have written this almost word for word as to what I will do....( again...The Horror !!! )

And FWIW - I also agree with you about not doing an aggressive dive with someone you haven't dived with before. That's just asking for trouble. But to be honest I'd apply that even to people who come on board with a DIR configuration, unless I knew them by reputation. The reason is simply that anybody can read JJ's book and go buy some equipment. Wearing the badge doesn't give you the chops ... or the appropriate mindset. I wouldn't consider going to 120 feet with a total stranger, no matter what equipment they were wearing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Absolutely. I will let practically anyone tag along with Sandra, Bill and I on normal recreational dives, and if they look like good buddies, we will invite them to do more demanding dives with us.

If I am on a fairly demanding recreational dive...sort of a Transitional to tech type dive like the "Hole in the Wall", or the "Wreck of the Castor", there have been times when their are divers unknown to us, that want to tag along....
I can't exactly tell them no....I can't say I like this, because they do become more my responsibility---so I do point out we are shooting video and stills, and would be about the WORST DEEP DIVE BUDDIES they could have.....If that does not work...all I can do is try to keep an eye on them every 30 seconds or so, between my video subjects and Sandra and Bill .....

On a real Tech dive, we are not on a boat with tech divers we don't already know and enjoy diving with.....That is one of the rules we had to implement in the late 90's. It avoids the huge problems Chatterton had with the huge tech boat and dozens of divers without plans on the Doria dives.... divers with insufficient air, and a high likelihood of screaming up to you mid-way through your dive, totally OOA.

[video=youtube_share;PIaXVw61qJI]http://youtu.be/PIaXVw61qJI[/video]
This is the wreck of the Castor....110 feet deep to sand, and it is sort of a transitional type dive because of all the stuff happening on it, and the potential for current to impact into the dive plans unexpectantly ( can begin with light current, and shift during dive....is in a funny area for predicting drift)

... and a bigass speargun. You can't fool me, dude ... I've seen you underwater ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yeah but did you eat fish that night? :D You'd be good at spearfishing Bob. It's the same skill in getting close to fish to take pictures.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 05:22 PM ----------

I didn't get a chance to try them; I would have liked to. I just spent a week in the Philippines with two people using them, who seemed to do much better in the current than I did with my Mares, as much as I like them.

If you're thinking of trying them, try out different stiffness and foot pockets. They're not all the same by a longshot. Personally, Moanas suit me best. Anyway, pm me if and I'd be happy to give you my 12 year history using different ones.

Hi Tater.

I echo your sentiment. Even years on as an active SB member, and quite active in some threads :duck: , I still scan the day's active threads and I enjoy seeing new threads with a minimal number of posts. If such a short thread is one that I either think sounds interesting, or if I think it is a subject or question I might be able to help with I am more likely to open the thread, than if it is one that already has over 100 or so posts.
By 100 posts in a thread, or even 50, I feel that it is likely that most sides have already had their say, and the thread will have become a community dialog, which likely I will have nothing new to add to.

When I was new to SB these short threads were the only threads that I felt comfortable actually posting in. Longer threads, with an ongoing discussion I tended to read, but just lurk around the edges.

For me, it was trying to share pics, and ask questions about potential destinations that first got me to dare posting. Do not be afraid to speak your mind. Even voluminous, major posters may not have anything more valuable to contribute than you in a subject, and even if someone disagrees with you, and says so, loudly, that does not make you wrong. Heck, even if you ARE in error, you still have the right to express your opinion, no matter who the other poster in that thread may be.

Ask Pete,
icosm14.gif
I am no longer afraid to speak up when I disagree! As a "newbie", I never dared raise my hand and say, "I disagree" with any of the "older" members.

Gypsy...what you say is pretty accurate with one exception. I am not afraid to say my opinion. I just don't feel I need to do more than agree with what others are saying if it fits. If I can add something new or a point I feel should be made I will. For example I did post my opinion on the OP.

I find it boring when I scan a long thread and the themes are repeated ad nausium. I am here because I love scuba and don't live in an area where I can dive 1/4 of what I would like to so I get a fix here. I love to learn and want to be a better diver but by the same token I don't want to be lectured about anything by people that have no idea of what my dive situation or attitude is.

This thread is an example. I'm sure they are great guys but I have no interest in the back and forth between Bob and Dan. I don't know either of them, I have respect for both, but the discussion is of no value to me. I am a busy guy and find it boring. If they or others find it fun or beneficial, no problem for me....I just move on.

Bob mentioned that this is my thread, but all I really did was lay a couple of open ended questions on the table for discussion.

The idea for the thread came from a question a friend who is a mod asked about the mood among some of the, er, more vocal trouble makers I am known to be friends with on and off of SB; this question coming at the same time I was thinking about how many times I have run into divers on trips, who had joined SB but failed to find anything to keep their interest.

I have nothing to gain from posing these questions, and no way to actually use anything we might learn, as I also have no connection at all to the staff of the board. I just enjoy being a part of the ongoing experience that is ScubaBoard, and thought that all of us together might find ways to make it an even better experience, or at least air some of our ideas for trying to improve it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

bigass speargun is part of the cool gear :wink:

As I recall, I never pulled the trigger during those dives.

Back
Top Bottom