Feel dumb to ask this but have an SPG spool question for hog 2" SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
Did some searching and I've read that there are 4 or 5 different types of spool valves yet when I see them sold I don't see any dimensions or way to differentiate them. I found this but I'm unsure if it is what I need.

Thanks guys.

Dave

That one will work fine for the SPG. I buy a bunch of them (5 or so) as spares and will replace the entire airspool rather then the O-rings.

That one will work fine for the SPG. I buy a bunch of them (5 or so) as spares and will replace the entire airspool rather then the O-rings.
Thanks I'll probably order a couple. The one i have is such a slow leak I could probably use it another few years w/o issue but at the low price no reason to deal w/ it any more.

Dave

I replace them as soon as I see leaking. Make sure both O-rings come out with the airspool. If they do not, you will need to carefully remove the stuck O-ring. Try not to scratch the metal surfaces on either the SPG or hose. Also remember that these are not greased as that could damage the SPG.

I replace them as soon as I see leaking. Make sure both O-rings come out with the airspool. If they do not, you will need to carefully remove the stuck O-ring. Try not to scratch the metal surfaces on either the SPG or hose. Also remember that these are not greased as that could damage the SPG.
See now I see different schools of thought on this around here. Some say you must lube them and others say no, it attracts debris. I'll use some tribolube

Lightly lube.

Chug
Never misses a chance to say "lube".

That spool will work, I put a little Christo-lube on mine as the o-rings are dynamic.

FWIW The o-rings can be replaced but typically what happens is the spool cracks as they are probably the most often over looked part when it comes to servicing.

I lube them. Never had one damage the gauge, in fact unless you pack the inside of the spool with lube before install it can't. i actually lube them quite heavily.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2015 at 06:07 AM ----------

That spool will work, I put a little Christo-lube on mine as the o-rings are dynamic.

FWIW The o-rings can be replaced but typically what happens is the spool cracks as they are probably the most often over looked part when it comes to servicing.

Never saw a cracked tube, most frequently I see buna orings that are being used with Nitrox go bad, they are exposed to a very high PPO2 at tank pressure, and of course just plain not serviced go bad because they are dynamic o rings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom