Feeling discouraged after my first pool dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gemini528

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had my first pool dive for my open water cert (PADI) today. While the instructors were all great and encouraging, I couldnt help but feel like I couldnt get buoyancy right. Although I was able to do some skills, I felt distracted by being unable to control myself!

My weights were checked and rechecked. I couldnt get my kicking right. To top it off, i had problems carrying my gear and my poor buddy’s gear. I am so exhausted that I hope I can do this tomorrow.

I should note, Im in my 40s and everyone in class were teens or very young adults. I’ve been so excited for this, but now Im afraid of how I will be (carrying my weights and gear AND buoyancy AND keeping up with the kids) during my open water dives.

We have our second pool dive tomorrow. Any tips? Is it typical to ask for more pool practice before the ocean dives?

Thank you.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I am too new to have good tips. But, I'll note I felt that way in a Discover SCUBA session. I'm closer to 40 and everyone else was a newlywed or teenager. That was rough. But I will say, I was diligent and earnest and tried. When we got out there, I at least knew what was going on, while some of the younger gals panicked and couldn't even get under. Any chance to talk to the instructors for their insight? Could it be that the weights were not even? Maybe a weight belt issue? I hope you get good answers and support here. I will be rooting for you! <3

If you finish the course and go on and be certified, you will understand how laughable your concerns are. After one pool season, very few people are going to have buoyancy control down and even if they sorta get it, they probably aren't going to feel comfortable with.

Buoyancy control is not something that is really "taught"; it is much more of learning to balance.. balancing the volume of air in your lungs, body position and how fast and deeply you inhale and exhale and also requires a good bit of fiddling with the air in the BC as well. If you consider all the moving parts and each one is more a less a "feeling", you can begin to realize it is a balancing skill. You can perfectly understand all the mechanics of it, but this is of marginal utility - until you get the "feel" for it.

Practice and emulation of a good model is what it takes. Can you teach a person how to balance a bike by explaining it? Not really; they have to learn it by feel. Who knows how far you lean to one side, when to turn the wheel, how fast to turn the front wheel, how far to lean on a turn, etc.. You just sorta learn what it feels like.

It takes a while, maybe another session in the pool maybe more. Some people complete 50 dives and STILL don't really get it. So cut yourself some slack and enjoy the training.

Congrats on taking the first step. I certified two years ago, in my mid 40’s as well. Dreamed of since I was a kid. First day in the pool, I was heartbroken, after snorkeling for years, even days before the pool session, I almost never made it. Couldn’t convince myself to breathe.
But eventually figured it out. I think the biggest thing you have to remember is to relax. Think about what’s going on, but relax.
Two years later I’m over a dozen dives, just bought a bcd this week. Can’t wait to get wet again!

As for more practice, my lds has a pool and you get a six month free membership to practice all you want. And there is always a great dive instructor there in case you need direction. You are definitely not the first or last to need or want it.

Best thing you can do is share this with your instructor the very first chance you have! If he’s good, he’ll work through this with you.

You’ll be fine. We see and read this all the time.

You got this. Be a thinking diver, but be a relaxed diver. Give yourself time. Oh, and welcome to the addiction.

Wanting to dive better is both the solution and the problem. (Only a problem if you care to balance a scuba life and a terrestrial life.)

It was so nice to read a post about a new diver who self-assessed about a buoyancy problem, rather than a fear of the water, or a difficulty with a flooded mask, or claustrophobia while sucking off a second stage.
Hey! You did great! And as others have pointed out, your buoyancy control will come. It's the KEY to diving smoothly. There are even special courses to help you dial it in - all AFTER you become a certified OW diver. So don't beat yourself up. You've identified a key issue in diving well, and you identified it after just ONE pool session! Congratulations!
You'll continue to struggle with your position in the water during your pool dives. Don't sweat it. Everyone has the same issue. It'll disappear by your open water dives. Enjoy!

Several people have addressed your buoyancy concerns and they're dead right.

However, you also mentioned struggling with carrying kit and feeling shattered after the day. The good news is that this is also entirely normal and will improve quickly as you gain more experience.

A few of my friends are avid cyclists, or Mamils as we liked to call them (Middle-Aged Men In Lycra). They managed to convince me to go on a long cycle ride after which I thought I would die from arse pain. I also ached like hell for about a week.

What you're going through is totally normal and will get better. The reason you're feeling down is because you care so much about getting it right. Trust me, that determination will pay off in the end.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom