feeling suddenly hard to breath + claustrophobic at only ~38ft???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In a dive today, as soon as we reached ~38ft, 51F (descended gradually, starting at 10ft - 20 mins), I suddenly felt extremely claustrophobic and hard to breath - like being squeezed into tiny space. And I could feel water pressing on my chest. (was wearing wetsuit, though, so it shouldn't "squeeze", right?).

I'm trying to figure out why - this was not the first time I'd gone to 38ft - been up 50ft multiple times before without any problem. (This was the same site I've dived at multiple times before)

A few "hiccups" today include:
- rental regs (mine didn't have an octo yet so had to rent)
- didn't have lunch before we dived
- I forgot to zip the back of my wetsuit so it was a little cold.

I don't think equipment was a problem because I was breathing fine for the first 20'.
Maybe I was tired + cold? But why the claustrophobic feeling?

Anyone got a theory?

Sounds like a bout with claustrophobia. Just tell yourself your stronger willed than your brain is .

Oh...and dive warm waters :wink:

It happens. The trigger might have been the rental reg being a little harder to breath off than your personal set, but a lot of us experience something similar from time to time.

I deal with it by slowing down or stopping for a bit, breathing slowly and deeply, and reminding myself how many extra oxygen molecules I am getting with each breath at depth. For me, the feeling goes away within a few breaths.

How did the rest of the dive go?

Was your valve fully open?

The question is, was the OP feeling claustrophobic, or was a restriction in breathing being inturpeted as claustrophobia. A poorly tuned reg can act in the same manor as a restricted valve.

A poor breathing pattern, elevating the Co2, could give the same effect. This would be my guess, but with the inexperience of the diver it will be hard to sort out.

Was your valve fully open?

yes - I always open valves all the way or closed. Never in between

It happens.

How did the rest of the dive go?

i stopped kicking - and laid on my stomach on the seabed for a few mins - it still didn’t help so I shot up to the surface. It was the scariest thing ever!! :banghead:

The question is, was the OP feeling claustrophobic, or was a restriction in breathing being inturpeted as claustrophobia. A poorly tuned reg can act in the same manor as a restricted valve.

A poor breathing pattern, elevating the Co2, could give the same effect. This would be my guess, but with the inexperience of the diver it will be hard to sort out.

can you define “poor breathing pattern”?
Maybe I was inhaling/exhaling too fast.
Usually, I stick to 3seconds in/3 seconds out. But when I’m cold and tired (which I was), it varies ...

I’m still surprised at the claustrophobic feeling. I’m normally not claustrophobic at all. Why now?

Pffft! This "incident" really messed with my head - on the way back, I was so scared of getting claustrophobic that I couldn't even sit in the back seat - insisted on either driving or the passenger front seat

Usually, I stick to 3seconds in/3 seconds out. But when I’m cold and tired (which I was), it varies ...

One has to breathe so that the CO2 is completely expelled from the lungs, which takes time for the breathing cycle, and more time than it sounds like you were using. If CO2 builds up it has a narcotic effect and can cause a number of symptoms, including claustrophobia, and shooting to the surface against your training.

yes - I always open valves all the way or closed. Never in between

i stopped kicking - and laid on my stomach on the seabed for a few mins - it still didn’t help so I shot up to the surface. It was the scariest thing ever!! :banghead:

can you define “poor breathing pattern”?
Maybe I was inhaling/exhaling too fast.

I’m still surprised at the claustrophobic feeling. I’m normally not claustrophobic at all. Why now?

Pffft! This "incident" really messed with my head - on the way back, I was so scared of getting claustrophobic that I couldn't even sit in the back seat - insisted on either driving or the passenger front seat

These event can happen.
Possible triggers:
  • valve not fully open(could be a valve malfunction) but unlikely.
  • Reg badly tuned
  • Co2 buildup
  • Squeezy, yes Neopren suits can squeeze, especially the ones with seals. But you said your zipper was open, so it's very unlikely
  • Just a bad day. Yes this can happen. Not eaten enough, nervous about the dive, or some reason, that we and you might not see.
If something like this happens, tell your buddy. Wait a bit, or call the dive immediately, depends on how severe the event is.
But take the control. Do a slow ascent to the surface, your buddy ready to donate, if needed. Normally you will feel it gets better by just ascending a few meters. Do a safety stop, if you feel better.or skip it if you still feel nervous.

But always be in control. Every diver can have these events, but a good diver is able to handle them well. And don't be shy about it, it's not uncommon.

You said you are scared to feel it again.
That's the fear of the fear,also not uncommon after an experience like this.
Do the next dives shallow and gain your Confidence back.

If it was a cardiac arrest can only be checked by a doctor

I think that it may have been the reg that you were using instead of your own, especially with the 3 and 3 breathing pattern. Try 3 and 5. You need to expel all of the air in your lungs (C02), not to the point that it hurts or that you're going to be gasping in. Breathe slowly in and slowly and fully out, repeat.

My guess, is that all the factors you have described played into the experience. Tired, cold, the regs that you borrowed do not breathe the way your own do and that was probably weighing on your mind,.long before you even got into the water. And knowing that you forgot to zip your wetsuit couldn't have helped.

Do you and your buddies do a buddy check before entering the water?

You've been doing a fair amount of diving lately for a beginner. I'm surprised at you bolting to the surface. You need to be able to control your panic.

Why would you think that you had or could have had a heart attack?

When are you getting your own reg set back?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom