Feinstein introduces legislation to improve passenger vessel safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems we’re doing a lot of wrestling over “sweeping regulation” when, for me, this really boils down to a vessel operator identifying known or potential fire hazards and taking proper precautions to mitigate the chance of fire, something I think is an inherent responsibility of an individual (and any crew) operating a vessel. Of course, the natural sequel to mitigation is an emergency response and evacuation plan that highlights all the exits.

Because divers travel to developing nations where oversight is often significantly less rigorous or even totally absent, if one chooses a vessel with a crew whose training, qualifications and discipline are suspect, then one takes his chances but reserves the right to cancel (costly as it may be).

I think in the event of a fire, an aircraft underway has even less response options than a waterborne craft. The airline industry seems to have gotten along fine by adjusting practices to compensate for the fire hazard of lithium batteries without a major re-design of fuselages across the aviation industry.

The article impugns the US Coast Guard, something I find distasteful. While I know the USCG is not perfect, I also know they work their tails off every single day of the week enforcing basic regulations under violation from ignorance, ineptitude or willful negligence but also saving people who were properly prepared but overwhelmed by the might of the sea.

I think perhaps closer inspection and enforcement of existing regulations is in order rather than a legislative action that may have been intended to assuage the emotionally distraught. I would find it hard to believe the USCG has not issued adequate advisories to vessel operators about the dangers of known and emergent fire hazards and the proper measures necessary to mitigate the potential fire.

I hate to see new laws and regulations that are enacted because we feel we have to "do something so this never happens again". I don't think we know that any current rules or regs were not being followed- if all the rules were being followed and this still happened then another look into what can be done is needed. If however, current rules/laws/regs were not being followed- then appropriate punitive actions must be taken. I would not be in favor of more regulation if the regs are not going to be enforced until something goes wrong.

I still want to know if a roving watch was required and if so, was a watchmen on duty and performing to the lawful standard? Also, an escape hatch that is too small for a "normal"person to get through easily is not an escape hatch at all. Just my opinion- I have no expertise in this field.

I still want to know if a roving watch was required and if so, was a watchmen on duty and performing to the lawful standard? Also, an escape hatch that is too small for a "normal"person to get through easily is not an escape hatch at all. Just my opinion- I have no expertise in this field.

There were allegations that the entire crew were asleep in deck; and that there was no night watch. I worked on boats as a kid and young adult; and being asleep while on duty, if that were the case, would not have been tolerated. I am uncertain whether it is currently required by California law; but we always observed it.

Much has already been said about the hatches. Their size were standard on most boats, built from the 1980s, on -- much like airline seats of that time. Things have certainly changed since . . .

we had wired and IP security cameras all over the vessel, including IR cameras. We could see hot spots in berthing, but not people. That didn't work in the enginerooms, so we had regular cameras in the enginerooms and other machinery spaces, as well as the sundeck.

Any of this you'd recommend for day boats?

Any of this you'd recommend for day boats?
Can you see the entire boat from the operating station?

I was thinking of more the engine compartment that would be out of site.
Yes. Therefore, a camera. Most modern electronics have a way to wire them in.

Back
Top Bottom