Felt dizzy and like I was going to pass out while on Cozumel dive, what could it be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am at a loss to understand why several highly experienced and other divers in this thread are providing a new diver with information that "it could be" this or that malady which anecdotally might be no big deal. I worry that their good intentions are giving a young diver like Midu, plausible reasons for his near fainting under water, which are likely to give him a reason to blow off the potentially deadly incident, and not seek medical advice. Perhaps because I am an old guy, I have seen more than a few friends and acquaintances have some very serious medical issues with symptoms similar to what Midu has described. I would hate to read a future Dandy Don post about a diver death that might have been avoided by a trip to the doctor's office. To me, this is a no brainer.

With respect to my post, I accept the criticism if it was directed toward me. If one looks up my posts on medical issues, you will find me saying over and over to consult a physician and not come here for medical advice. I didn't add that to my post in this thread, but I should have. I did start the post by saying I didn't know what caused the op's problem. My only point was that the lack of vomiting doesn't rule out vertigo. Yes, go see a doctor and let us know if they find anything.

Thanks everyone, I had the same symptoms at my sparring session when I was training Thai Boxing very hard this week. I was getting dizzy and black in front of my eyes. I have an appointment with a cardiologist next Wednesday, I'll keep you updated (if it interests anyone lol).

All the best!

Yes do get a full work up. All too often we ignore symptoms that can indicate something big.

Thanks everyone, I had the same symptoms at my sparring session when I was training Thai Boxing very hard this week. I was getting dizzy and black in front of my eyes. I have an appointment with a cardiologist next Wednesday, I'll keep you updated (if it interests anyone lol).

All the best!

I am sorry that you experienced this again, but very happy you are going to a doctor! It's always better to have symptoms checked out & find it's nothing or something small...then to find out there's a problem when it's too late to do anything about it. I wish you well.

Just to toss something else in the mix it could also be migraines including an occular migrane. Had one once many years ago. Was sitting there in a seminar and I lost all vision. Just some sort of wierd pattern like a test pattern on an old TV. Does not come on instantly though. Takes a few second.

Good luck to you Midu. We are hoping your medical issue is temporary, and easily and quickly resolved.

Last edited:

All the best!

Yes, we're very interested to hear how things turn out. I'm glad you're getting seen.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi,
So I had a regular EKG and a stress/workout EGK done and it turned out that my heart functions perfectly normal. This is a relieve but still makes me wonder what happened that day underwater.

I also had a full blood test done and got the not so good news that I have higher levels of bad cholesterol and lower levels of the good one so I have an increased risk of Coronary Artery Disease. The doctor said however that a change in my diet would take care of it. I did eat a lot of red meat lately, well that will change now.

Thanks for the support and all the best!

Good to hear. Thank you for the update.

Hi,
So I had a regular EKG and a stress/workout EGK done and it turned out that my heart functions perfectly normal. This is a relieve but still makes me wonder what happened that day underwater.

I also had a full blood test done and got the not so good news that I have higher levels of bad cholesterol and lower levels of the good one so I have an increased risk of Coronary Artery Disease. The doctor said however that a change in my diet would take care of it. I did eat a lot of red meat lately, well that will change now.

Thanks for the support and all the best!

I'm glad your heart is functioning normally. I've seen tons of people (myself included) make HUGE changes to their health just by diet alone & it's better that it was found early. But I was curious what else your doctor recommended to help figure out why the dizziness happened to you twice? (I don't mean to pry & feel free to ignore the question, but when problems occur it's really important that you work with your doctor or get a second opinion to figure out what's happening.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom