FEMA Rated Dive Teams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smeiche

New
Reaction score
Are there any FEMA Type I dive teams?
If so, who are they?

Our fire department dive team would like to pursue a FEMA rating but I can't seem to find any published lists of FEMA rated teams. Would like to contact some to dialogue.

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread I'm new to the forum.

Steve Meiche
Firefighter/Paramedic/Diver
Los Angeles City Fire Department

I know that Riverside County Dive Team was trying to work towards a FEMA rating last year. I don't know if they got it, but they may be able to provide you with some info

We're still working on it- we also tried to find that info with no luck.

I just dropped an email to one of the FEMA PIO's, I'll let you know whet they have to say.

The answer from FEMA is that resource typing is done by the states.

Determining if you meet a type rating as I understand them are determined by the AHJ. So your local or state coord. would be the person that decides you meet that rating and submits your team to FEMA. Start at the local EMA or OEM office and see if they have a local training advisor that can work with you. Otherwise go to the state level. One of the two will have this. Try to stay as close to home as you can to make it easier.

Next, Document everything. Some items are hard to define and the AHJ will set the metric. So showing them what you have they can better help seek what you still need.

Don't just go gather certification. Be sure they meet the standard set by the AHJ. Just because agency ABC has a PSD certification and you earn it might not meet some standard set at a higher level. Some departments make decisions based on an agencies standards or maybe the amount of insurance they carry. You never know if your UASI area had a policy to only use agency XYZ so everyone is trained to the same standard.

I hope this help and gets you on the right track.

Geez. All this running around to get info on a rating. Our wonderful tax dollars at work. When I see these roadblocks, my experience tells me that they (FEMA) want to keep it to a small "them-only" group.

We are gonna look into this here in Connecticut, I'll let you know how we make up and I will share any info I get

We could just wait on OSHA to regulate us. Wouldn't that be grand? Good luck with all of this....would love to see someones approved outline per their state.

I haven"t been able to get a good point of contact here in CT, it seems like either they don't know who to turn it over to or they just have no clue......the saga continues

Back
Top Bottom