Female divers help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilkittydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking at the Aqua Lung Pearl BCD, and its well up there in costs ($535). I'm also looking at the Sherwood Luna. I can get it cheaper in a package at my local dive shop, but the package is out of my price range. The Luna does not have everything I want like the Pearl does, but the dive shop doesn't carry Aqua Lung. I want to know, Is the Pearl worth the higher price?? It seems like a wonderful fitting BC, but I have no where to try one on. What should I do? Kinda confused! If you would like to have a full on discussion about the two, please email me at lethalguardedsnare@gmail.comThank you!

What are the features of the BC that are most important to you? I love the way aqualung BCDs fit, in general. And the hybrid back inflate/jacket style of the Pearl would tip the weight in its favor for me.

I know you said there is no where to try one on but you won't truly know which is right for you unless you do. I thought I was going to the SCUBA shop to by the Libra but after trying it on I left with the ScubaPro LadyHawk (which I love). The fit just wasn't right... Good Luck to you!

I agree with the "try before you buy" idea. My wife recently bought the non-i3 version of the Pearl and loves it. She tried on about 10 different BCD's, and when she put the Pearl on, that was it.

+1 on leisure pro. I bought a bc from there, it was too big. I got a hold of them, they emailed me a return shipping label and sent me the next smaller size. Super easy.

Female diver here, owner of a non-i3 Pearl. I adore it. I know a few women who don't like the "built in bra/vest" part, but because it does NOT have a strap across my chest, I love it! I am on the well-endowed side, so the M Pearl allows me to also pull the well-endowed girl trick of tucking things into my "bra" (vest portion) and not have to worry about them to much during my giant stride from the boat. After doing my OW class in a bcd that was too big, having a Pearl that fits me is an awesome thing! My confidence is better because it is MY gear, I know how it works and acts and can/will react accordingly. I was lucky that my LDS carries AquaLung, so could try it on in the shop (they would have sold me a size too large for me based on weight/measurements) so it would be worth your time to find a dive shop that will let you try one on!

Female diver here: I know lots of women who like the Pearl's build in bra which many say is more comfortable across the chest than a strap, especially for women with larger breasts. It also has a higher cut hip than other BCDs to make a better fit. The Aqualung Pearl may be the more expensive one, but Aqualung warranties are fantastic - warranty for the lifetime of the BCD and 100% replacement for the first 2 years. Aqualung also make a donation to Breast Cancer research for every Pearl sold so you can feel good about your purchase too :)

As advised above, you should be able to try before you buy. If the shop you normally go to does not offer this, I would think about finding another shop, especially for an important investment like a BCD.

Enjoy your dive toy shopping!

Back
Top Bottom