few questions regarding GUE and UTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corleone

Contributor
Reaction score
I have Transpac xt & Travel xt from Dive Rite. is this good enough for GUE training, fundamentals for example? if no then, what changes do I need to make?

also, is there anyway I can read the curriculum? can I do that without registering for a course? there is 1 and only 1 GUE instructor in my whole country, and every time I ask him a question, he just replay with GUE web site!! made me feel like I'm talking to a robot. I would like to somehow evaluate the content.

I was watching a UTD video, and the guy said, unlike others, we don't need a surface interval, we can dive again like rightaway!! my question is, is this true, how many times can you do that in 1 day?

both of GUE and UTD is about working as a team, what if I joined my LDC on one of the weekends dive trips and I end up being the only diver who adapt the DIR philosophy!!I will be paired with a buddy so, how is that going to work out ?

I have Transpac xt & Travel xt from Dive Rite. is this good enough for GUE training, fundamentals for example? if no then, what changes do I need to make?

I am not sure about UTD, but transpac of any type won't be compliant to GUE. You must have a rigid backplate, so SS, AL or Kydex will work. Fabric soft plate will NOT. You must have a one piece continuous webbing harness. Any so call comfort harness with quick releases won't work either.

also, is there anyway I can read the curriculum? can I do that without registering for a course? there is 1 and only 1 GUE instructor in my whole country, and every time I ask him a question, he just replay with GUE web site!! made me feel like I'm talking to a robot. I would like to somehow evaluate the content.

I was watching a UTD video, and the guy said, unlike others, we don't need a surface interval, we can dive again like rightaway!! my question is, is this true, how many times can you do that in 1 day?

both of GUE and UTD is about working as a team, what if I joined my LDC on one of the weekends dive trips and I end up being the only diver who adapt the DIR philosophy!!I will be paired with a buddy so, how is that going to work out ?

If the transpac xt has as many D rings and buckles as on pictures it will not fly in a GUE class. Read the standards Appendix A. (page 88 here: http://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v7.3.pdf)

You need a continuous webbing. 5 D rings. A Backplate and no buckles on your shoulderstraps.
If you apply to a class you get the class material, or you can go to gue website and order Beginning with the end in mind by Jarrod Jablonski which is the curriculum for Fundies.

If your buddy is not a dir diver, then you still act like a dir diver: Make a plan, communicate, follow the plan, and be a generally good buddy.

I would day don't worry about this at this point. Taking fundamental class with these agency will simplely make you a better/safer diver overall. It will be benefitial to you regardless who you are diving with.

The difference I can see when diving with similarly trained divers, you know what to expect from your team. When you diving with differently trained divers, you may or may not have the same expectation. So you can either go over the dive plan before hand and try to understand each other as much as possible, and/or just be more conservative/observant for the first couple of dives

I can answer for the UTD side, no a transpac won't really work as well as a backplate system, which are usually available for rent from instructors/facilities.
This is some info on the essentials course, the entry level course for previously certified divers; Essentials of Recreational · UTD Scuba Diving

That includes the equipment requirements.

The no surface interval diving is called mindeco, the idea is to complete any deco obligations (even for recreational diving) in the water as part of the dive.. There are simple protocols for this.

You will find that often you may not be diving in a trained team but you still perform as a trained DIR diver, one that is much sought after. You plan your dive, follow safe protocols and explain your gear and actions in case of an emergency to your buddy. Mostly, enjoy your dive and be prepared to answer all the questions from your buddy, such as how do you stay so horizontal and still in the water? And, how do you kick so effortlessly and not stir up the bottom?

Are you in Italy? If so, there are 12 UTD instructors in Italy. If not you can search the website for a UTD instructor near you.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding equipment, procedures etc or anything else.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom