Fiber optical or TTL convertor for Olympus 8080

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have olympus 8080 with PT-023 housing. I just bought YS-110.
I do fiber optical connection now, but someone suggested that TTL convertor + 5 pin cable will be better than fiber optical,since I can use TTL function instead of maunal setting.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Guys, Let me know your idea.

Using a TTL connector will allow you to shoot without needing your internal strobe to fire. That saves battery and reduces heat buildup. The TTL adapter is installed in place of your present Olympus strobe port and is easy to do. You can get the adapter in several places. It is made in Austria and costs as much as $300.00.

In lieu of that, you can use a fiber optic cable to fire the strobe, but I do not know off the top of my head if you can sTTL with that combination. You also have an issue with using the TTL connector with SuperMacro. Refresh my memory--do you have a slave strobe setting for your camera so that you can still use strobe with super macro?

From what you say you have not used the strobe yet, try it, see how you get on so much in diving & photography is down to personal preference. Please bear in mind my experience toough, it may help you avid some ruined photos.

I had problems using the fibre optic because the light from the internal flash was passing through the plastic of the lens port and creating a hot spot on my photos. it took me ages to work out what the problem was, i solved it by covering the front with the velcro blanking, but i was unhappy with that so converted to a sync cord - problem solved!

How is your PT-023 housing holding up? I have one and both tabs that the port closed broke off.

I have read reports on other forums that the TTL via fibre optic doesn't work very well at all. A dive buddy of mine has confirmed this with his YS 110'S. Electrical connection is the way to go with these strobes.

The ability to TTL is dependent on the type of camera. Many camera/strobe combinations seems to be unique. There are settings on both the cameras and the strobes that must be correct. If, for example, the SP350 is set for internal and external for the flash setting (not slave), the strobe is on TTL, then it works just fine. I have set up hundreds of these and they are great. If the strobe is hard wired to the camera, then it must be on external only and the strobe can not be set for slave. Of course, on supermacro, you cannot use the internal and external for slave TTL, thus you must use only the direct wire TTL, or use slave and manually adjust the strobe.

Just to clarify - I was specifically referring to the YS 110 in DS-TTL mode with a F/O cable. There was a thread on Wetpixel detailing issues in this regard, it may have been with earlier versions of the strobe. Damned if I can find it now though.

D-TTL is dependent on the number of pre-flashes the camera uses, I think multiple preflashes won't work.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom