Fiddler Crabs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Have you guys, or ladies seen Fiddler Crabs at the North Shore? I've cruised the estuaries of Cape Ann/Essex/Ipswich and have not seen any evidence of these guys at all. The reason I ask is I need to collect a bunch of these little guys for a school wishing to simulate a marsh environment in the classroom.

Cheers,

X

To bad your not near Buzzards Bay....was walking wiyh my Grandson today and we played with a bunch.....look for hard mud flats with what look like holes from a large stake

To bad your not near Buzzards Bay....was walking wiyh my Grandson today and we played with a bunch.....look for hard mud flats with what look like holes from a large stake

Cheers. I get out to Buzzards and the Maritime Academy every once in a while. It's a bit of haul from Cape Ann :D ...the funny thing is we have tons of estuaries which should have Fiddlers...but for years I've never seen one in Essex, Ispwich, Rockport, or Gloucester marsh and brackish tidal areas. Not even a trace. So, I was wondering if I need new glasses, or just unlucky.

Just wondering as I might have to go to my default of Carolina Biological. The bait shops don't seem to have them this time of year either.

X

Funny thing about the Fiddlers I never recall seeing them around the south shore from like Marshfield to Hull. But I always found them in around Hyannis along with blue crabs. I always just thought they were only down the cape.

As poryhunter states, you have to find the mud flats or areas of mud in narrow channels that are completely exposed at low tide. They burrow into the sides of the narrow channel. They are skittish and will scurry the second they know you are there. Branford, CT has loads of them and I can't see them not being abundant up there were you are. Talk to the locals, call the environmental office, call a few colleges that do marine research.

IS THERE A MARINE BIOLOGIST IN THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Augk and Sarus,

Sometimes I bike out to Crane Estate, Conomo Point and by the flats near Good Harbor Beach..I've never seen evidence of a fiddler crab. To me these environments seems ideal as it's mostly muddy, water is exchanged regularly and has the requisite plants to support critters. That said maybe the Fiddlers have a different idea of where it's best to live at the North Shore. I'll have to ask some of the bait stores when I get back to Cape Ann.

Cheers,

X

p.s. Sarus - I can see myself getting several copies of your book for friends who dive. Plus, I bet the local shops around here would love having them.

mybackyard1.JPGmybackyard 2.JPG

Lol scuba Ive been a local my whole life.:D

I think it's the warmer water on the south side of MA and the cape shorelines.

Thanks for the plug on the book.

I just got called back to work at the state park so I'll be quite busy, but I plan on working on it once the season is over.

I need to consult with other people that have had books published to see how to get it done.

Thanks again for that.

I think it's the warmer water on the south side of MA and the cape shorelines.

Interesting hypothesis - hadn't really thought about temperature as a factor vs. salinity/substrate.

OK - Are there any fiddler crabs in Maine? New Hampshire?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom