Fifty Places To Dive Before You Die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a bone to pick with the 50 sites that it chose - opinions vary.

I just thought that it gave them all pretty vague and superficial treatment. One could have swapped big chunks of the descriptions and photographs around between locations without anyone noticing.

Same opinion. Got it as a Christmas gift. looked through it. Now it takes up space on a shelf somewhere collecting dust!

My wife got it for me as a stocking stuffer, and it's a good coffee table book...no more information than you can get from the "popular" [-]diving[/-] travel magazines! :idk:

haha, diving is something everyone wants to do, you never know you might discover mermaids and other sea creatures

the thing is - this is the type of book that is going to get people's noses out of joint in a hurry -
if there are only 50 - OF COURSE not all your personal fav spots are going to be listed ...and the implication that there are 50 you need to see before your die - makes it so exclusive - to the offense of so many because if you even only 'somewhat like' to dive - it's true - there are Waaaaay more then 50 spots you MUST see in the world before your dive - but i guess the sales success of a book called 'some really cool places to dive' isnt as catchy though right ? :wink:
nice pics, and objectively we could all argue that there are better spots - but i would refuse to dive at any of the spots listed.... maybe it should just not be taken too personally is all ?

Yes if your going to stir the pot at lest give it a hard kick and do like the Ten best dive sites, with heaps of quality photo's.
That would create debate, but without being detailed it comes over as Rhone man has said "bit of a lazy cash-in".
I would rather a Neville Coleman underwater naturalist book over this any day of the week- I think a good shot or vid underwater is best advertisement to any given place and visibility/sea life is seasonal/lunar, so timing and luck is important too! there isn't a best site or dive, but there is a good time to dive any particular site and for me it's hard to beat the GBR!!!!! living with it out the front door that is!!!!
The best dive is your next dive!

Hi Rhone Man,
As you have mentioned in your post that author admits that he doesn't know much about diving, but consult with experts so it appeals me.
I will visit amazon today and place my order soon.

Not enough pictures to be a decent coffee table book. Do yourself a favor and check it out from your local library (most libraries can borrow a copy from another branch if they don't have it) if you must read it. You'd be better off with any of the magazines on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom