Fiji Air Award & Bula Bid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving4ever

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

We're heading to Fiji (from San Francisco) this fall and I've been trying to book business class award tickets with my Alaska miles. It's been a bear finding any availability on that flight, but I finally found two Business seats in October for the return portions (Nadi-SFO). I noticed there are still two tickets available for 10/5/2019 Nadi-SFO. These are OW non-stop business class and for some reason only 55K (coach is 40K) miles per seat. If anyone has been looking for availability you might want to snap those up.

I'm assuming we will need to purchase OW tickets from SFO-NADI. I really can't see paying for business class seats on an 11-hour flight, but I heard that Fiji Air lets you bid on available upgrades. Has anyone has bid on an upgrade to/from Fiji? I'm trying to decide how to budget/plan for that and would love any recent experience.

Thank you.

I did Bula bid on my recent flights from LAX to Nadi. Some of the research I did before hand suggested that you check the regular cost of a business seat and subtract what you’ve already paid for your economy ticket. You should then bid between 20% and 40% of the difference. So if your economy ticket was $700 and a business class ticket is selling for $1,700, you should bid between $200 and $400 for an upgrade.

At booking my ticket cost $850 and a business class ticket was $3350. I bid $650 each way ($650 there and another $650 for the return). I was not successful. When bidding they had suggested the average winning bid was $1000.

Have you selected your dive outfit? Taveuni Ocean Sports is superb.
Taveuni is on my annual bucket list and is well worth the additional flight cost from Nadi. Review luggage weight restrictions for domestic travel if booked separately. If you have any spare room in your suitcase, please bring first grade school supplies such as reward stickers and colored pencils for the Naselesele school near Matei, or any other remote school you may be near. Enjoy!

Hi all,

We're heading to Fiji (from San Francisco) this fall and I've been trying to book business class award tickets with my Alaska miles. It's been a bear finding any availability on that flight, but I finally found two Business seats in October for the return portions (Nadi-SFO). I noticed there are still two tickets available for 10/5/2019 Nadi-SFO. These are OW non-stop business class and for some reason only 55K (coach is 40K) miles per seat. If anyone has been looking for availability you might want to snap those up.

I'm assuming we will need to purchase OW tickets from SFO-NADI. I really can't see paying for business class seats on an 11-hour flight, but I heard that Fiji Air lets you bid on available upgrades. Has anyone has bid on an upgrade to/from Fiji? I'm trying to decide how to budget/plan for that and would love any recent experience.

Thank you.
I also cash Alaska mileage and have had very good luck getting business on all legs. My suggestion is to keep checking, airlines release mileage seats on a very random basis and there is no charge to change your reservation once it is booked.

I flew the leg from SFO-NAN in September and business is 'nice' but not super posh, but at least you'll arrive not feeling that you've been beaten with a baseball bat

We stayed on Viti Levu because I didn't want to waste a dive day on an inter-island flight (and baggage is stupid expensive on the flights). I found a very nice self-catering condo near the Wananavu resort and it worked out well

Back
Top Bottom