Fiji Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloop John B

Registered
Reaction score
Was planning to do a last minute trip to Fiji mid to late August, however I have read some mixed reviews about the weather/rough water that time of year. Thought the Tui Tai would be fun with a land based resort afterward...maybe Koros Sun or Maravu. I was trying to reduce the amount of extra inter-island travel by staying in the north. However, I am open to other suggestions, especially if this is not a good idea. Of course we want to dive, but also want to experience the other things Fiji has to offer. Can anyone who has been there this time of year or has some other thoughts shed some light on the subject? Thanks in advance!

August is still a good time for diving, with clear water and less plankton. The water will be a little cooler - say 25 degrees celsius (or around 78 degress fahrenheit) at the very least a 3mm suit and you will need maybe a light sweater in the evenings. But often the trade winds die down in late august and you get glorious still sunny days. I've never experienced "rough" weather in Fiji relative to what we dive in back home! But be aware of the leeward side of the islands and try to pick somewhere sheltered from the south-east trade winds.

Inter-island flights are ridiculously expensive in Fiji - but the ferries are dirt cheap (but you might end up sleeping on a bit of cardboard on the floor!) Timetables are pretty random and the journeys can take a long time due to various village stops en route. But there can be some magical moments too - hearing fijians singing on the deck at sunset for instance.

If you're up north, another option on the way back down south is either Naigani Island (small homely resort on a beautiful beach - excellent shore and boat diving and largely unknown..) or Ovalau. Both these are off the beaten track and excellent value. They are in the Lomaiviti group to the north east of Suva and offer similar diving to that found offshore at Raki Raki in the Bligh Water. The Wakaya wall near Ovalau is world class and some of the dive sites just five minutes from Naigani have brilliant soft corals and superb fish life to rival The Maldives (where I've also dived twice.)

Naigani is a lso culturally very untouched - the resort is run by fijians (but it was starting to look a little tired when I was last there 2 years ago.

Enjoy your fijian diving. It really is god's gift to the world.

Sloop John B:
Was planning to do a last minute trip to Fiji mid to late August, however I have read some mixed reviews about the weather/rough water that time of year. Thought the Tui Tai would be fun with a land based resort afterward...maybe Koros Sun or Maravu. I was trying to reduce the amount of extra inter-island travel by staying in the north. However, I am open to other suggestions, especially if this is not a good idea. Of course we want to dive, but also want to experience the other things Fiji has to offer. Can anyone who has been there this time of year or has some other thoughts shed some light on the subject? Thanks in advance!

Consider Kai Viti Divers nad Wananavu Beach Resort on the northern tip of Viti Levu near Rakiraki.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom