Fiji in 4 weeks... questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mclianne

Registered
Reaction score
I will have the priviledge of visiting Fiji in August and I have some questions for those who have been there.

My In-laws, who are graciously helping to pay for this trip, have booked us with Dive Kadavu. Is this a resort, or a dive operation, or both? ( have heard it may be connected with Matana Resort....) Is it near enough to the Great Astrolabe Reef for us to have dives there? What are some of the good sites accessable with Dive Kadavu?

I want to bring some gifts for the children, in case we get to visit a village, what are some good things (inexpensive) to bring? Also, I would rather not drink Kava due to health choices, therefore would rather not give the yaquona as a gift. What else would be an acceptable gift to bring with us on a visit?

Was told by my mother-in-law that unless at a resort, I can't wear pants and should wear a skirt. I'm not the short shorts type, but would have liked to wear capris. Is it true that I should wear skirts? Even when hiking??? Can I just wear shorts and bring a sulu along to wrap up in if we run into anyone?

Any tips you have to share would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much...

Dear Mclianne,

You'll have a pleasant time in Kadavu as it is quiet, undeveloped and the dive sites aren't full of people.

Dive Kadavu is on the other side of the island from the Astrolabe chain but it may be the case that they organise trips. I stayed at the Matava last December and that was about 40 minutes motorboat ride from the airstrip (which is a few kilometres south of where you'll be staying). From what I've been told, most of the accommodations are resorts and dive operations rolled into one with their own instructors and a shop on-site.

I don't know about gifts for children (my guess would be small sweets that don't melt in the heat). But for adults, cigarettes are always appreciated (there's always someone who smokes). A good way to get out of kava drinking is to say you've had an upset stomach.

In terms of dress, the safest attire for a woman is a skirt that comes below the knee and avoid very tight attire. But that can't be expected of those of us engaging in outdoor activities and most locals understand that. During my time in Kadavu, there were divers, kayakers and surfer women and we all dressed in the most suitable gear for our activities. So do wear a skirt or sarong for the village visit but don't worry too much about casual walkabouts. One thing I despised about staying in Nadi was the amount of harassment you get from the local men so my conclusion was that while modest attire may decrease leering, you still have to be cautious.

So happy diving and enjoy!

Hi Mclianne

So your off to Fiji , great.
Well i can't tell you much about where you will be staying as when we were there we stayed at Sonaisali which is just off the mainland ( a 3 min shunt ride).We were there in 97.

I can tell you that Louie was correct that the children really love sweets (which we brought from a local store in Nadi). If you are going to visit a traditional village which we did (we took a traditional cannoe ride up the river which took some time , I think it was a half day tour.) scenery was wonderful both ways,also had some small rapids but the boat man were really good at navigating although they thought it quiet funny that when we got wet. We were advised that you give the sweets to someone in authroity at the village as they make sure all get some.We were also advised that it is offensive if the chief offers you Kava not to have some, but being a women you only need to accept it once when it is returned you may refuse. At least that was how it was when we were there and it was a traditonal village we went to not one set up for every day tourist.That was the only time I had Kava the whole trip .(Defentitly not my cup of tea).

If you get a chance and you like orchids go to the sleeping giant mountain orchid gardens.It is a lovely walk through that also will take some time.We were also lucky enough to have a taxi driver that we had for the whole stay in Fiji that found out while we were there that they had just unearthed a natural hot springs, so he took us there. We were invited by the owner to use the springs which we did a few days later.The locals had a great laugh as 4 white people endevoured to enter the mud pool ( actually you float ) as when we were covered in mud you could still see some of our white skin which they found quiet amusing.From there you went to the different sections till you became clean. My skin felt so good or looked so healthy for days later.The own thanked us for being locals even though our skin was different.

As for clothing i mainly lived in T/shirts and knee length bike pants and sarongs but maybe contact where you are staying and ask there advise as i said it was some years ago we were there and maybe things have changed.

The one thing I didn't like was the pushy attutide by the locals in Nadi to sell you something.Stick to the stores recommended by the place you stay at as others are quiet pushy and some would follow you down the street trying to sell to you.

I hope this helps a little but all in all I really enjoyed Fiji and hope to return next year.

Hope you have a great time too

Sherry :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom