Fiji Siren - Lost at Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add to the levity, I love the quote in the article at the link below stating that the Fiji Siren "was lost on her last cruise."
When the heck else would it be lost other than on her last cruise?

Fiji Siren Lost At Sea – DeeperBlue.com

Your on fire!

I have been a subscriber to Undercurrent.org for MANY years.....it's the Consumer Reports version of all things scuba....they pretty much state 'RUN ! Don't walk away from the Siren fleet! I would NEVER EVER consider any of their boats....far too star-crossed ! Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me...fool me 6 or more times !!! ???

Both of the guys I was in the above conversation with agreed that everyone in the industry has recognized that the Siren Fleet has a real problem but the Siren Fleet doesn't think so and that's why these events continue to happen.

Bankruptcy and uninsurability may cure them.

....likely their FORMER insurance company by now.

I don't know about the structure of the Siren company, but some liveaboard companies contract with different boat owners in different locations - kind of like a franchise, maybe? So perhaps they are dealing with different insurance companies for each boat? I just can't imagine that any single insurance company would be willing to "keep them afloat!" :giggle:

Last edited:
...at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to lose a boat to being torpedoed by a WWII German U-boat.

We have one of those in a museum in Chicago, perhaps they will find a way to ram it during one of their exotic cruises!

Since no one was hurt on the Fiji Siren, I was able to laugh at this ridiculous situation. I mean, come on; six boats in six years, that's absurd!

But I just saw this UnderCurrent article about the final voyage of the Oriental Siren and I am not laughing any more - this is the stuff on nightmares!

Problems with the Siren Fleet: Undercurrent 07/2012

Last edited:
according to this thread:

Live Aboard Capsizes

1) Are Siren Fleet vessels inspected by a USCG type organization?
2) Are Siren fleet vessels built to ABS or similar certification standards (American Bureau of Shipping)?
3) Are siren fleet vessels manned and designed to SOLAS standards?
4) Are the officers in command of Siren vessels licensed by a governmental organization

markmud

Considering the Fiji Siren is flying a Mongolian Flag that should give you a hint to the answers to your questions.

(FYI, Mongolia is like 600+ miles from any ocean/sea!) What legit live aboard would register their vessel in MONGOLIA ??? !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom