Fiji???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kick A$$ report, but th flight turned me off. a state run airline that stacks and packs is not god for me... i will go but by boat i think.......
Thank you all again for your input. i have changed my plans for the caymans instead.

My only experiences with Air Pacific have been between Honolulu and Nadi. They use Boeing 737-800s on that run -- newer planes than the old B747s they use between Mainland USA and Nadi. I found the flight comfortable and the service friendly (both in June 2006 and June 2007).

Friends who have flown from LAX to Fiji have used Air New Zealand. The only "negative" they indicated about such an arrangement was that the return flight to LAX was via Auckland.

In my (admittedly limited experience) Air Pacific may be the main airline flying in and out of Nadi, but not the only one.

Peace,
Dave

I just checked the Air NZ web site. It turns out that the Air NZ flight from LAX to Nadi is a code share with Air Pacific. I can't speak from personal experience what that flight is like. All I can say is that my friends have never stated any major problems with the flight or the service.

If it is true that only Air Pacific flies from the US to Nadi, perhaps a flight via Honolulu might be the way to go.

Dave

Air Pacific has a couple of ex Singapore Airlines 747-400s. The seat pitch is 32" which is pretty standard. Most US airlines have a seat pitch of 31" or 32". The best seats are in row 27, seats A,B,C and H,J,K. Oodles of leg room, right behind business. These seats have a TV that unfolds from the armrest.

On my return flight, Air Pacific combined a canceled flight with ours. Goodbye row 27. We got the first row on the upper deck. These seats have a little more armroom in the windows. But the very first row is right up against the front wall, not so much legroom. I'd recommend the first row of the next sub-section of the top deck.

If you want miserable, fly on an Iberia A-319 for 6 hours. The seat pitch was maybe 30". It's so tight that you can't read a magazine. Thanks to advanced engineering, they now have a seat with normal room for your knees but the seat back is right in front of you.

I chose Air Pacific due to the frequent flyer miles from American. LAX-NAN netted almost 12,000 miles. The other factor was entertainment. Air New Zealand flew767s without personal TVs. It's possible that they may have updated them this year.

Attachments

• AP747.jpg
    AP747.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IberiaA319.jpg
    IberiaA319.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 57
Qantas had personal video screens with about 20 movies and a dozen tv shows to choose from, and they would start and pause whenever you wanted. AirPacific had 7-9 movies, some of which were child oriented. Many of the channels didn't come in clearly, and ever now and then the entire system would reset, sending you back to some radio channel, and you would have to find the movie again. The movies ran in a continuous loop, and many seat's screens didn't work properly.

The seats also had a folding foot rest. It wasn't in a comfortably position for those with long legs to use, and basically banged up your shins while stowed.

The whole "pallet" seemed dated and in poor repair, the seats, the lights, the screens, etc.

I'll probably be the only negative comment on Beqa. But I would never use them again. Mark the manager of Beqa is really, really poor in my opinion.

The dive staff is ok. The waitstaff and maids are very good. The accommodations are good to very good.

We were a group of 12 last month at Beqa. The universal thoughts on the trip were Beqa is ok, but Mark was really a bad as a manager. It's a long story, with numerous issues.

The cleariest example of Mark's poor management was when the boat broke down after the 2nd dive of the day. The group kept everyone entertained (hangman on a slate, etc). while were bobbing in 5' rollers. No one complained about being stranded for about 3hrs. Mark's way of making amends was to promise a drink "on the house" for everyone on the boat. The only problem was it was an empty promise. If you aren't going to deliver, don't open your mouth.

I'll probably be the only negative comment on Beqa. But I would never use them again. Mark the manager of Beqa is really, really poor in my opinion.

The dive staff is ok. The waitstaff and maids are very good. The accommodations are good to very good.

We were a group of 12 last month at Beqa. The universal thoughts on the trip were Beqa is ok, but Mark was really a bad as a manager. It's a long story, with numerous issues.

The cleariest example of Mark's poor management was when the boat broke down after the 2nd dive of the day. The group kept everyone entertained (hangman on a slate, etc). while were bobbing in 5' rollers. No one complained about being stranded for about 3hrs. Mark's way of making amends was to promise a drink "on the house" for everyone on the boat. The only problem was it was an empty promise. If you aren't going to deliver, don't open your mouth.

Did you bring it up? A lot to do in that position, I would and have held their feet to the fire, and they have always made good once reminded! You must be very shy not to just ask or say "Hey Markus where's our drink"! I find that people who complain or sweat the small stuff miss the big stuff! The dead give away was "The dive boys were okay" They are among the best anywhere! I fear that no one could make you happy! To say "You would not use them" over a drink misses the whole experience of Beqa Island! They where voted the number one diver resort in the world in 2001 and I have not seen any major change except better boats, better rooms, better everything, and a change of three managers and two owners, but the staff keep improving in order to keep us coming back!

I can't speak for them, but I would say if you contact the office in Nevada they will make your drink good!

BTW I have been stuck at sea in a broke down boat for a day and a half lost! The operator caused me to miss my flight, my next connection and live a board trip, and still charged me for the week it took to get me out on the next flight! I still go for the diving! Life in third world countries isn't like home!

Did you bring it up? A lot to do in that position, I would and have held their feet to the fire, and they have always made good once reminded! You must be very shy not to just ask or say "Hey Markus where's our drink"! I find that people who complain or sweat the small stuff miss the big stuff! The dead give away was "The dive boys were okay" They are among the best anywhere! I fear that no one could make you happy! To say "You would not use them" over a drink misses the whole experience of Beqa Island! They where voted the number one diver resort in the world in 2001 and I have not seen any major change except better boats, better rooms, better everything, and a change of three managers and two owners, but the staff keep improving in order to keep us coming back!

The drink was just a single observation/incident, just 1 of many. And not simply by me, but the entire group.

I didn't miss the big stuff as you describe it. The dive masters were just ok -- Nothing special. They didn't go out of their way and were very focused on getting back to the dock (versus letting people blow bubbles).

You like it there, then go back and have a blast. Our group didn't so we won't be back. Mark kept raving about all the repeat divers there. Clearly you are one of them. Good for you. We had much better experiences at significantly simpler resorts/dive operators (and also at 5 star resorts).

Just because your experience and my experience are different doesn't make yours more right.

Back
Top Bottom