Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've heard that the land based diving in Fiji is just so so compared to the liveaboards. Can any one comment on this who has done both? Thanks

I've heard that the land based diving in Fiji is just so so compared to the liveaboards. Can any one comment on this who has done both? Thanks
Just came back from Fiji, sorry only land based.

Diving in the Bligh Straits or the prime spots off Taveuni is very weather dependent. Two of the five days I was there, there was way too much wave/wind to dive there (don't care how big of a boat you're in, 20 knts is too much)

If you can get there, the diving is absolutely superb. I still have dreams about Mellow Yellow and Black Magic Mountain :) It's sad to think that most reefs used to have that much life on them. . .

Hi. What JohnN said, but I would add this.
The Naia goes to the best spots in the central and North of Fiji, some of which are very hard to get to from a land based operation, but there are options.
Best land based diving in my opinion would be Taveuni (loads of resorts), Namena, Kadavu (Mai Dive or Matava) and Bligh Waters (Volivoli or Wananavu). Liveaboards will usually go to a couple of places that are not visited by land based dives including E6, Wakaya Passage, Mount Mutiny and Gau island. Also the more remote areas of Kadavu are dived from time to time.
For variety, go with a liveaboard 100%. Pick your land based operator and probably plan on splitting the trip between 2 then you will get 75% of the same stuff - probably.
Greg

I did a Fiji trip on board the Nai'a in February 2007. (I was actually there only a few months after a coup and so it was impossible to get trip insurance but that is a whole other story.) The weather was horrible when I was there, and one of the huge advantages of a LOB came into play. If the weather is bad where you are, you simply go some place else.

I have not done a shore based trip to Fiji, so I can not really comment on that, but I can say that all things considered, the time spent on the Nai'a gave me the best possible options for a trip of that magnitude.

IMHO, if I were you, I would look to a LOB for at least a portion of your trip.

Naia is a very good boat. Did Fiji trip many years ago and just got back from their Tonga trip. The staff are awesome.
Diving is good, lots of beautiful soft coral.

Hi. I live in Fiji and have done a fair bit of diving around here. IMHO you can't beat spending a week or more on the Nai'a. Best diving I have ever done...period. An amazing boat, very well set up, great crew, awesome food and amazing dive spots. For land based diving my favourite is Beqa Lagoon resort on Beqa island. But that is probably because I live in Suva and it is easy to get to. But diving from Taveuni and Kadavu are also good. I wouldn't bother with the Yasawas or any other islands off Nadi as they are very touristy and expensive and the diving isn't that great. Diving from resorts at Rakiraki are good as they can access the areas near the Bligh passage on good days. Both Wananavu and Volivoli resorts have their pros and cons. Make sure you come in the dry season for better chances of good weather.

This wasn't a dive trip. It's our 25 anniversary and my husband doesn't do wet. I am reading that Nadi isn't the best for diving, but here I am on Denarau. Can anyone recommend a shop for a few dives? No cattle boat. Dive master with 1,000 + dives. We got in this A.M. I brought my reg and computer. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Fiji. Either check out your hotel tour desk or go to Port Denarau and see if there are any dive operators. I'm not aware of any from there but you might be able to do a boat day trip to an island which includes diving.

Hi. I live in Fiji and have done a fair bit of diving around here. IMHO you can't beat spending a week or more on the Nai'a. Best diving I have ever done...period. An amazing boat, very well set up, great crew, awesome food and amazing dive spots. For land based diving my favourite is Beqa Lagoon resort on Beqa island. But that is probably because I live in Suva and it is easy to get to. But diving from Taveuni and Kadavu are also good. I wouldn't bother with the Yasawas or any other islands off Nadi as they are very touristy and expensive and the diving isn't that great. Diving from resorts at Rakiraki are good as they can access the areas near the Bligh passage on good days. Both Wananavu and Volivoli resorts have their pros and cons. Make sure you come in the dry season for better chances of good weather.

Hello. I will go on a sailboat in Fuji in December. I want to buy a BCD, regulator and tanks. Do you know anybody that have equipment for sale or have any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom