Filefish (?) on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thespoons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
4664852186_dae99fb09d.jpg

I'm trying to identify the fish at the far right. As you can see, there's a female stoplight parrotfish and an orange-spotted filefish to give you a sense of scale. These were all in fairly shallow water (less than 30 feet) on a daytime Bonaire reef shore dive a couple weeks ago (can't remember which one). I didn't actually take particular notice until I got my pictures back, so I can't really tell you much more than that.

The camera is just a disposable underwater one, so the picture quality is lacking. But it looks a bit like some sort of filefish to me. Hard to tell from the top. I looked through Reef Fish ID and haven't found a positive match. Anyone got an idea?

Attached is a larger sized image.

Attachments

• 4664852186_1018488a22_o.jpg
    4664852186_1018488a22_o.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 70
I would say it looks more like a parrot than a file fis; thick body, no dorsal spine, looks like it is swimming with pec fins.
From that angle it is a tough ID but possibly a terminal striped parrot Scarus iseri

I would say it looks more like a parrot than a file fis; thick body, no dorsal spine, looks like it is swimming with pec fins.
From that angle it is a tough ID but possibly a terminal striped parrot Scarus iseri
Looks an awful lot like parrotfish to me as well.

I don't know, I'm not seeing scarus iseri (striped parrotfish).
medium.jpg
3350950217_c2bce89eba_m.jpg
01834_large.jpg

Just doesn't seem right for the way the stripes are on this fish.

I was also thinking parrotfish in general at first, but the eyes seemed to bulgy and high up for me. But how often do you really pay attention to parrotfish from the top compared to from the side?

its a redband parrotfish. that band under the eye is its namesake, although the red doesn't show up that well in the shot

Now THAT sounds like a winner, Sully!

xvi61430.jpg
redband_parrotfish.jpg
fis-68-38693.jpg
5988202.jpg

I'm convinced. Thanks!

I'm suprised how much the red shows up on the stoplight but none on the other parrot
however that fish is missing a spot above the pec fins, which is another typical pigmentation on redband

I'm suprised how much the red shows up on the stoplight but none on the other parrot
however that fish is missing a spot above the pec fins, which is another typical pigmentation on redband

Well, one thing to consider is that the stoplights are VERY red, yet it only shows up as barely red. For example, here's another picture of a stoplight with the same camera in a very sunny, shallow area while snorkeling:
screen.jpg

You have a point about the stop, but I'm still leaning heavily towards redband.

I'm with Sully -- it's a Redband.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom