Filling tanks with Cheap-O Air Compressors on eBay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my original question was "Has anyone here tried these?" The clear answer is no, no one who responded has used one. There are people out there who have, though, and as I mentioned before, "Minidive" is out there packaging one up with a pony bottle and a reg, so logic would follow that if you could fill a very small tank, you could probably fill a larger one. I think we've we've sufficiently covered the risks, and I wouldn't even consider "Minidive" as a safe system, but I point it out only because it exists, people are using these compressors, and I was wondering what the experiences of anyone had been.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-15_8-50-5.png
    upload_2020-1-15_8-50-5.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 95
its about a 1 and 1/2 cuft per minute compressor if I read the specs correctly. I suspect it will not last long

It ways if it vibrates too much put a towel under it..... thats no kind of compressor for me. It would probably be ok for paintball tank filling

If a tank is emptied very quickly (by accidentally, and stupidly, removing the manifold with 50bar still in a cylinder), can this rapid depressurisation (50-1 bar in 5 seconds) cause damage to the actual steel tank?

Has anyone tried filling tanks with these compact $200 compressors that have shown up? There are a few out there, below is an example. One of them out there is labeled as "Kwasyo" brand (kwasi-who? ). Says it can fill up to 4500 PSI at 50L/minute. If I'm doing my math right, it seems like you could fill an 80 in about 45 minutes, but I could be WAY off on that. $200 seems like it would be pretty cheap for filling your tanks at home, but unsure if I'd be willing to take a chance on the filtration being good enough to keep hydraulic oil out of my lungs! :)

Here we are on page 3 and there still isn't a good reply, just a lot of OMG UR GOING TO DIE which isn't helpful in understanding the capabilities and limitations of these inexpensive products.

Producing high-pressure breathing air involves the use of two components: a pump and a filtration system. Typical SCUBA compressors sold by the major makers for the purpose of filling SCUBA cylinders have both of those components. They are both necessary. Let's take them one at a time.

Considering the pump alone, there are three problems with the inexpensive, low-speed paintball pumps sold on ebay and elsewhere, when used in a scuba application:
1) The output is low leading to excessive fill times (hours)
2) They are water cooled, requiring a constant source of clean, running water to avoid overheating
3) The useful life is typically fairly short, perhaps 100s of hours, which is OK for paintball fills into smaller cylinders but which does not provide an economical solution for SCUBA

Keep in mind that any high pressure air compressor is loud and requires some amount of monitoring while in operation. You would not, for example, want to run the thing in your apartment all day while you go to work.

Now, on the filtration side of things, the problem is that these pumps typically don't have any filtration or perhaps have some filtration for water only. You can add filtration, but realize that the filtration system is a significant share of the cost -- I have one in the classifieds right now that you can take a look at if you want an idea of the going rate. The main contaminants are water, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons. The water poses a corrosion problem and a freezing hazard, and the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons are toxic. These contaminants are present in the incoming air as well as being produced as byproducts of the compression process due to the presence of heat and lubricating oil.

There's no way I'd ever use air for diving that hadn't been through a proper filtration system designed and maintained specifically for breathing air.

Worst thing that can happen is you die and kill whoever else's tanks you filled.

Beyond the safety issues, wouldn't it take around 15 years to fill an HP80 with one of those things?

Back
Top Bottom