Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is now, see attached copy. The list of defendants seems surprisingly short.
This would be a punishment lawsuit.

At least they didn't get some snake push them to sue rEvo.
Others seem fair and logical to me (assuming dive horizon is the boat op).

If it is true that the 3rd dive was just a bounce dive to retrieve the anchor, I would say that Horizon Divers may be in more trouble than Sotis. Why wasn't there dive crew to retrieve the anchor? There is some merit to the claim that they should have been keeping track of both divers on the surface.

Read the Florida Constitution and get back to me.

So I see your point. The QON is indeed in federal waters in the context of submerged coastal resources, fishery regulations, etc., which my mind typically operates within. But not so much in context to carriage and other aspects that this lawsuit is ikely dealing with, which allows states to claim territorial waters out to 12 nm per UNCLOS (and your referenced definition claims waters out to the edge of the Gulf Stream). Point taken.

its interesting they are suing in usa not Canada , (as our settlement aren't a 10th of the us ones ) I think this one will go all the away to the jury as peter hasn't the money to settle out of court .... this is going to be a wild ride with so much publicity and the accusations against peter and add helium ...

So I guess that Rob was just a passenger in a boating activity and not a diving activity according to the filing..... So I guess he had no personal responsibility for his own actions here....

its interesting they are suing in usa not Canada , (as our settlement aren't a 10th of the us ones ) I think this one will go all the away to the jury as peter hasn't the money to settle out of court .... this is going to be a wild ride with so much publicity and the accusations against peter and add helium ...
Sadly, insurance is a pool. I share a pool with Peter. Sigh.

its interesting they are suing in usa not Canada

I don't know Canadian law, but generally at common law (which most of us former British colonies follow), you can only sue a defendant in a court having personal jurisdiction over the defendant. That typically means where they live and/or operate or where the incident occurred. Thus, Florida.

Back
Top Bottom