• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Filter Packing for Dummies-questions.

Discussion in 'Compressors, Boosters and Blending Systems' started by couv, Oct 31, 2019.

1. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Hi All,

My neighbor and I have a case of the blind leading the blind. We will be packing his converted steel hydraulic actuator (nixed the aluminum accumulator from a previous thread.) Therefore the process of purchasing felt, AC, and MS has begun. Going to various vendor sites has me dithering over what may or may not be trivial choices. I’m here to ask the gurus opinion on the advantages/disadvantages over a few items. Please give me the pluses and minuses for the following.

Felt: Polyester vs. Wool

Molecular Sieve: Most post I’ve read here have recommended 13x I suppose that is a size. Is there also a choice material I should be looking for?

Activated Carbon: Basically the same question as above.

Of course, we’re looking for vendor recommendations too. I’ve ordered felt pads, MS, and AC from: Scuba Compressor.com and they were very helpful-if all goes well there will be a next time; but we would appreciate alternated sources. I’ve seen Frogman’s post re felt at McMaster-that’s just the sort of ideas I’m looking for.

TIA,

Couv

2. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @couv - our PM exchange showed you some sources, and if you look a little at those, you will see 13x MS comes in various sizes. I linked you directly to the proper size one (extremely small particles). Of concern regarding sources is that there are "industrial uses" for MS, and "breathing air" uses for MS. There has been some evidence of contaminants in MS that is not laboratory grade or from suppliers of breathing air systems. Be careful there...

couv likes this.
  3. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

Exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

OK so 13x is not a size. What does the "13x" indicate?

Here is another piece of the puzzle. Some sites, like:
    Activated Carbon Coconut Shell Based - Granular
    Show 3 different size AC granules. 4x8, 6x12, 12/40 which one would be the most suitable?

4. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Better than 12x? :rofl3:

wiki - Molecular sieve - Wikipedia seems it is just the nomenclature for that specific size (pore diameter & bulk density, not "pellet" size)?

couv likes this.
  5. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    don't forget hopcalite

for the MS, look for a laboratory supplier that can get you the 5A size in medical grade. and ideally, you would have access to a muffler oven to activate them, but for 5A, broil setting on a home oven sort of works. or vacuum drying them if you have a vacuum pump.

for the activated carbon, it depends also on your compressor setup. need to balance the surface area with the flow rate and filter size.

couv likes this.
  6. grf88

grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

7. Seahuntjerry

Seahuntjerry Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
  8. Seahuntjerry

Seahuntjerry Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: