Filter Tower Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, can a tower be stored on it's side when not in use?

Truth be told my compressor is on it's way. It's coming in a nice little storage box that clips down on itself. I'd like to be able to fit and maybe mount the tower inside of the storage box and I think the 21" tower I ordered might be a hair to big (but I could be wrong, it might fit fine).
Skip the box its only going to hold in heat like crazy - heat is the worst thing for compressors and filters

Skip the box its only going to hold in heat like crazy - heat is the worst thing for compressors and filters

Did you see the picture? You think that will hold heat in?

Edit: let me clarify. For the most part I'll store this at the company shop. It's a welding / gas shop. It's dusty and dirty. To me, just based from looks, taking the top off the box would leave enough ventilation to run it. But having not ever been an owner of a HP compressor I'll take your wisdom over my theories anyday.

Did you see the picture? You think that will hold heat in?

Edit: let me clarify. For the most part I'll store this at the company shop. It's a welding / gas shop. It's dusty and dirty. To me, just based from looks, taking the top off the box would leave enough ventilation to run it. But having not ever been an owner of a HP compressor I'll take your wisdom over my theories anyday.

Yes it will
You need full unobstructed airflow for at least 50cm all around - and 1m+ on the engine exhaust side. Running it in that box will destroy it in <10hrs

I would not store it at a welding shop, the vapors are bad news for your inlet gas and the dust is bad news for all the cooling coils. You need a clean, dry, well ventilated space to make breathable gas consistently. If you keep the gas engine you will need to remove the box and take the whole thing outside. And use a snorkel in addition to the new tower which would normally be clamped to the frame next to the existing final filters.

Ok, so I'll take it out of the box to run, no worries. Thanks for the clarification.

I have no intentions of running it in the shop...way too much stuff goes on in there. If I did at the very least I would get a snorkel to get air from outside (will use a snorkel no matter what). But to store it, I'll probably use the box and put it somewhere in the shop.

We also have a few open sea containers outside that might be a nice place to setup....if the boss lets me.

@rjack321 I really appreciate your feedback. I think it's pretty obvious this is my first compressor (that I don't even actually have yet) and I'm pretty "green" with all this. I'm reading as much as I can but a lot of the common sense stuff (that I don't know) isn't really written anywhere. There's no place where I have seen that says take it out of the box to run, so I truly appreciate you pointing out the little things.

I don't want to kill my little compressor, I don't want to kill myself, and I especially don't want to kill anybody else....so every little bit of information helps. So thank you for tagging along.

you could use some HP - QD fittings to allow you to pack it back up, not permanently attaching the tower to the compressor. If you are at a welding shop, fabricating something shouldn't be an issue...

you could use some HP - QD fittings to allow you to pack it back up, not permanently attaching the tower to the compressor. If you are at a welding shop, fabricating something shouldn't be an issue...

That's why I had asked if it's ok to lay the tower down when not in use. Maybe store it in the box on it's side, even if it is disconnected (although it may fit, I'm not sure). It's my understanding the tower should remain pressurized though...correct?

Yes Sir, I have all kinds of ideas in my head. Nothing is set in stone yet, need to get the damn thing 1st and go from there. Fabricating something is in the works I'm sure....

So here she is. Came in the mail today. It's nice (at least it seems that way to me). 6000psi rated pressure and the filter itself says Lawrence Factor on it. It's a few pictures, I didn't feel like uploading all. Please take a look and tell me what you think?

The filter housing with everything is 22" tall, the actual filter is 11.5" tall.

Does anyone know where I could get a filter this size that would be re-packable?

There's a grease around all threads, best to use Christolube? I have a bunch from rebuilding regs...

Dropbox - Filter - Simplify your life

That's why I had asked if it's ok to lay the tower down when not in use. Maybe store it in the box on it's side, even if it is disconnected (although it may fit, I'm not sure). It's my understanding the tower should remain pressurized though...correct?

Yes Sir, I have all kinds of ideas in my head. Nothing is set in stone yet, need to get the damn thing 1st and go from there. Fabricating something is in the works I'm sure....
Ideally you keep the tower pressurized between running the pump. Venting it down to 0psi is not so good.

If you disconnect it with QDs at a minimum you need to (double) bag it up with little ambient air inside and no air exchange or your 13x will absorb moisture from the air and end up ruined in a few days or weeks

So here she is. Came in the mail today. It's nice (at least it seems that way to me). 6000psi rated pressure and the filter itself says Lawrence Factor on it. It's a few pictures, I didn't feel like uploading all. Please take a look and tell me what you think?

The filter housing with everything is 22" tall, the actual filter is 11.5" tall.

Does anyone know where I could get a filter this size that would be re-packable?

There's a grease around all threads, best to use Christolube? I have a bunch from rebuilding regs...

Dropbox - Filter - Simplify your life
Just use the disposables that way you know you have fresh and working hopcalite in there.
X542442 Lawrence Factor Air Filter

With a gas engine its not worth the risk to pack your own on a final filter needing/deserving hopcalite.

Putting it back in the box after use or maybe storing it (in the shop) with the box upside down on top of it is fine.

Don't forget a PMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom