Fin advice for getting pain in calves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birddog1911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I've had problems in the past with developing pain, sometimes considerable, in my calves on dive vacations. Particularly, trips where I've been able to make multiple dives; once or twice doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've come to the conclusion that its either my kicking technique, type of fins, or a combination of both. Currently, I'm diving with a pair of those old, heavy as sin, military style fins. I'm looking for suggestions for a new set. I'd like something light, and with good propulsion. I do wear boots, so no snorkeling fins.

Thanks!

For lack of resistance it's hard to beat Force Fins.

I suspect though that you are having to fin quite hard to make the paddle fins give you the speed you are looking for. Solution is either to slow down or get a faster pair of fins. The Mares Quattro fins are pretty good, there's a lot of options.

As far as finning technique, if you are using a flutter kick then you need to make sure it's your thighs doing the work not the calves.

Generally speaking my advice to someone in your situation would be to reduce weighting as much as possible, streamline the gear as much as possible and work on achieving horizontal trim. . This will bring the required effort down a lot.

Once that's done, have a look at some alternative finning techniques like frogkick etc.

Then and only then start looking to change the fins, once you have the skill / other gear issues (if any) resolved.

Thanks for the advice, Rain. It's quite likely that I'm not using my thighs to do the work. I'll be taking AOW in 2 weeks, I'll ask my instructor to watch my technique, and offer advice. I'm also probably working too hard; I know I'm still relatively new, and inefficient.

Any time. It's a common part of why new divers use more gas than experienced divers, there's a lot of gear and rushing about etc.

Are you doing your AOW with PADI? If so try to see if you can get a Peak Performance Buoyancy dive done first (or even do the speciality entire) as it will really make a huge difference to the rest of your diving. Maybe @boulderjohn can chime in, he is PADI from your neck of the woods.

Do you have a dive club or community there? Possibly some mentoring dives before the course may help you get more value from the AOW.

Good luck and enjoy!
Brendon

Try frog kicking.
I suspect and hope that's where he will end up but until he has his trim and buoyancy sorted, as well as gear streamlined, frog kick will be quite frustrating.

I am doing my AOW with a PADI shop; Underwater Connection, in Colorado Springs. I'll ask the instructor if I can perform the PPB first.

As far as a dive community. I've been diving for 11 years, and have around 50 dives (10 logged-STUPID!!!). When I found out that I can use my GI Bill benefits to become a Dive Instructor, I've jumped heavy into the sport. AOW is the first step. I'll check around my LDS and look into a community.

This thread might help
Rocky Mountain Region

I think with the frequency of your dives, that logging omission may end up benefitting you.

There's also a section called Going Pro which should be useful to you.

Thanks again, Brendon. I've got a lot of reading to do on this site, for sure! Though, I'd love to hear your opinion on how my logging omission may help me. I'm kicking myself, because I've already got enough dives to start DM training later this year...had I logged them!

Well, generally speaking the consensus seems to be that the more dives the better. Assuming your 50 dives are spread evenly over 11 years then 5 dives a year is not enough to even ensure proficiency. That's in most cases.

I don't know you at all so please don't take this personally but I would be very reluctant to credit those dives towards a leadership role.
I certified in 1999, and did about 20 dives that year. I then had a 4 year break before doing essentially what you are planning. Those 24 previous dives aside, I felt like a newbie once I got into the swing of things again.

If you can remember your dives roughly by all means log them retroactively. Undershoot on depths and times and all will be well.

Obviously that does not mean making up dives but if the only thing stopping you from logging is you can't remember if it was 50' or 60' and 45 minutes or 55 minutes, log a 40 minute 40' dive.

Back
Top Bottom