Fin advice for getting pain in calves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had bat fins for both pool (Hollis F2) and dry suit (Apeks Rocket RK3). I'd get cramps as well as both pairs of fins seemed to not be the best for my tweaky knees. A friend (who also has a tweaky knee) loaned me her Dive Rite XT fins. Holy cow, what a difference! I've already bought a pair for my dry suit.

They were much lighter than either pair of bat fins, but still give me a lot of propulsion.

I'm going to be doing an Advanced Buoyancy class early in the spring (SDI version of PADI Peak Buoyancy). I'm learning frog kick, too. The resting phase of it is very nice. :)

Don't just have the instructor take a look at your technique. Have him video your technique. Then you can watch it with the instructor and get his feedback, but you can probably just watch the video yourself and see what doesn't look right. Watching videos of your swimming technique can be VERY enlightening and highly productive for making improvements.

I've had problems in the past with developing pain, sometimes considerable, in my calves on dive vacations. Particularly, trips where I've been able to make multiple dives; once or twice doesn't seem to be a problem.

See e.g. How to Get Rid of Leg Cramps During Freestyle Swimming Kick Sets - VeloPress

I would guess that lifting those heavy fins puts too much tension in your calf muscles so yeah, try lighter fins. How do your foot pockets fit, that's the other crucial bit.

I second the Force Fins. I had a bunch of different models. Currently have Excellerating Force but loved my Hockey's. Looking forward to the new production run hopefully coming soon. They are expensive but they are fantastic

I'd also suggest looking into Deep6 fins. Super light and great for frog kicking. I think the stiffness is comparable to my Hollis F1's.

I I'll ask the instructor if I can perform the PPB first.
I require my AOW to take PPB as the first adventure , and I require/teach frog kicking (taking a video with a GoPro - that provided me critical feedback when I took GUE fundies) that is part of the exit requirement. I don't care how many dives it takes, as before I task load a student with navigation (second adventure dive, and also done during the night dive), I want their finning and buoyancy control to be fairly strong. I hope your instructor has a similar view.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I'll definitely talk to them about teaching frog kicking, as well as look for other resources.

Found a great video that explained and showed the frog kick. It also clearly pointed out to me what I knew, but not for sure why; I'm not an efficient diver...yet. I have been flutter kicking only. But I also came to realize that another reason I blow through air is because I'm trying to see everything I can. I need to slow down, focus on efficiency and improved techniques before I worry about new fins. Reflection is great!

Last edited:
I practice frog kick at home to strengthen muscles, either on a ball or a bench. I do not recomend this in public parks.

Hello all,

I've had problems in the past with developing pain, sometimes considerable, in my calves on dive vacations. Particularly, trips where I've been able to make multiple dives; once or twice doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've come to the conclusion that its either my kicking technique, type of fins, or a combination of both. Currently, I'm diving with a pair of those old, heavy as sin, military style fins. I'm looking for suggestions for a new set. I'd like something light, and with good propulsion. I do wear boots, so no snorkeling fins.

Thanks!
Solution: Piranha P1 Dive Scooter.. All New For 2016 | Dive Xtras

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom