Fin advice for getting pain in calves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a n00b I may be missing something here, but why does the frog kick seem to be considered advanced? Swimming breaststroke comes more naturally to me. But then again, my feet kinda splay outwards. I also found that flutter kicking with fins made me prone to leg pain and sore feet.
Frog kick is associated with less sediment disturbance (of bottom sediment or overhead rustcicles) that can be lethal in Cave and wreck diving. I dive with stiff fins, and vary finning technique as needed for situation.

As a n00b I may be missing something here, but why does the frog kick seem to be considered advanced? Swimming breaststroke comes more naturally to me. But then again, my feet kinda splay outwards. I also found that flutter kicking with fins made me prone to leg pain and sore feet.

In breaststroke the front of thigh acts as a brake during leg recovery, that's part of why breaststroke is the hardest style to do fast. As a result you get very uneven propulsion with big push from the kick and almost a complete stop during recovery. If you do a regular breaststroke kick in fins: add the blade surface to your braking effect. "Modified frog kick" in fins they're talking about here is very much unlike that: it's for fine control, backpedalling and helicopter turns. In both cases your feet work as propeller blades, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

Back
Top Bottom