Fin/Boot Solutions for Long, Skinny Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACMe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have long, skinny feet--I normally wear a US size 12 shoe as length is the primary factor for comfort in street shoes.

However, I've noticed that even after going down a size with my 5mm wetsuit boots (DGX XLs, size 45, US 11/11.5) my foot slides back in forth in the boot while my toes are a bit cramped at the end. This is particularly true while frog kicking. It's a bit hard to tell if some of this play is also due to the fin foot pocket or if it is entirely due to my foot shifting in the boot.

I'm using XL Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins, but I am considering switching to a neutrally buoyant jetfin-style (probably OMS Slipstreams or Deep Six Eddys).

I have two questions:

1. Do others who have experienced this issue have any suggestions for clever solutions (socks?) or products that fit your ski-like feet snuggly?

2. If I switch fins, any recommendations on sizing? Are there any jetfin-style fins that have an inherently skinny foot pocket? Based on shoe size/foot length, most brands would suggest an XL, but I don't want a fin with a foot pocket that is too wide (or is this even an issue?). Likewise, I worry about how going down a size will fit in terms of length. I am very leg heavy so looking for a version that are neutral.

I'm based in Indonesia, so I unfortunately don't have as many options for comparison shopping in person so I'm seeking wisdom from the internet.

Thanks all!

My regular buddy is a skinny size 13. While he dives Tusa Xpert Zoom split fins - maybe their foot packet runs the same in their paddle fin line.

I don't know what boots he uses and can't currently find out. They might be ScubaPro as his favorite shop is a Platinum Rseller.

I put these in my booties (thanks to Dan Volker): Clothing - Insoles | Merrell -- between that and a size smaller fin I have a tolerable fit on my Accels. Not great, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom