Fin dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please help need experienced tech diver opinions pretty please or well knowledgeable fin peeps... I’m looking for a shorter fin for travel and ease of movement for myself I’m 5’5” female y’all not around and about 140 lbs diving in caves and wrecks with current and I am very feet light !!! I worry I can’t handle the F1sd due to cramps, I know I will need to build my strength. trying to figure out if the F 2 are for me or jets or the RHK 3 ??? mainly frog kicking and needing more power and weight, but not so much power I cramp. thank you kindly all

I have Scuba Pro Jets that are heavy - too heavy for me so it makes me vertical in the water, but those might work better for your needs. They're fairly short for travel - which is why I really like them. My husband has Force Fins, which are very packable. They're technically negatively buoyant but not by much. Folks who dive them really like them (I haven't used them, so don't know - he likes them).

I would ask the wreck/tech folks what they think of the Force Fins for the type of finning you're doing. They're expensive, but if they do what you need, and they super packable, they might be perfect for you.

The UTD Precision Negative fins are the same size, shape and weight as the Jetfins, but with a deeper, more comfortable foot pocket. That ergonomic foot pocket keeps you from cramping.

There are neutral/positive fins, which are about half the weight of jetfins but comfortable. They would be an intermediate between really light fins, and the negative fins. Sometimes that's all you need if really light fins, which also often bend during kicking, don't work for you. I have the UTD Precision Neutral fins with spring straps and I absolutely love them.

https://www.utdscubaequipment.com/product-page/precision-fins

If you are feet-light, forget about the F2. They are very light.

My husband really likes his Hollis F2 Fins. I just always use my seawing nova's, even when traveling.

My husband really likes his Hollis F2 Fins. I just always use my seawing nova's, even when traveling.

I loved my F2s, too, but once I started tech diving with a drysuit, they were WAY too light to counteract the inevitable floaty feet. The OP didn't say if she is diving a drysuit, but she did say she is tech diving in caves and wrecks, and that is commonly done in a drysuit.

As for the Seawing Novas, for frog kicking and other precision propulsion techniques used in tech diving, most divers prefer stiff paddle-style fins rather than a jointed or otherwise floppy fin like the Seawing Nova.

As for the Seawing Novas, for frog kicking and other precision propulsion techniques used in tech diving, most divers prefer stiff paddle-style fins rather than a jointed or otherwise floppy fin like the Seawing Nova.

I've wondered about how the frog kick is effected by using the Seawing Novas (what I use). I do a modified frog kick - and wondered if I'd be able to do it better if I were diving a full, non-jointed fin. I have a pair of full foot Mares Volos I'm thinking about taking on vacation to see the difference. My Seawings require boots. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread, just wondering ...

I've wondered about how the frog kick is effected by using the Seawing Novas (what I use). I do a modified frog kick - and wondered if I'd be able to do it better if I were diving a full, non-jointed fin. I have a pair of full foot Mares Volos I'm thinking about taking on vacation to see the difference. My Seawings require boots. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread, just wondering ...

Since the OP mentioned frog kicking, I don't think it's a hijack to mention what kinds of fins work or don't work well for that. All I can say is there are many opinions in many threads that the ideal fin style for frog kick, back kick, helicopter kick, and maybe others is the so-called paddle style. As with any topic on SB, you can also find people eager to counter that kind of assertion by saying they are able to do a great frog kick with such-and-such (non-paddle) fin.

Agreed that a stiff paddle type fin works better for basically all propulsion - frog, modified frog, flutter, modified flutter, backwards, and the helicopter turn.

It's possible to do various kicks in almost any fin, but it requires less effort and it's just easier in a paddle fin.

If you get a chance to see video of yourself doing any kicks or take note of others, it's easy to see the effect on the fin. You can see flexible or very light fins bend with any kick. You can see stiff paddle fins retain their rigidity and propel the diver more efficiently.

I took regular used fins and four inches off the end. Fits in my suitcase, and only reduced finning power 25% in my pool-length test. It does move less water, but also protects from cramps(along with stretches. You can see photos if you do a search “flipper nipping” although these were just old fins to test the theory, they are my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom