Fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I recently found a pair of fins that I had no idea I had. They are AMF Swimaster Mark IX. Can someone give me a ballpark on when they might have been manufactured, even a range. ANY info would be greatly appreciated!

freediver:
I recently found a pair of fins that I had no idea I had. They are AMF Swimaster Mark IX. Can someone give me a ballpark on when they might have been manufactured, even a range. ANY info would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 1962 Swimaster catalogue where the only fins listed are various models of Duck Feet. I also have a 1978 edition of "The Complete Outfitting & Source Book for Sport Diving", which does list Swimaster Mark IX fins, describing them thus: "Open heel with adjustable strap, stainless steel buckle. Blend of natural and neoprene rubber. Blade design based on original UDT Duck Foot. Black. Sizes: regular and mini (for smaller feet or without boots". So the fins were introduced sometime between 1963 and 1978, a 15-year range. I have no idea how long AMF Voit marketed the fins after 1978.

If you want to know more about the company that manufactured the fins, there is some correspondence on the Vintage Scuba Diving Forum that might interest you:

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1054769986

Hope this helps.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom