Fin recommendations for an assistant instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomerG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I'm an assistant instructor so many of my dives will be guiding an intro dive, meaning sometimes I have to carry a big guy with me so I need good propulsion.
I dive mostly in the Red Sea with a 3/5 mm wetsuit and usually I'm feet heavy so I'm looking for close to neutral buoyancy. Also I mostly frog-kick
Fins I've tried:
Apeks RK3 (non HD) - felt too soft
Scubapro Jetfins - felt too heavy
Hollis F1 - pretty good for me.
I've heard good stuff about the Deep6 Eddy (but can't try them and shipping cost is high) and OMS Slipstream so they are also on my list.
I've recently discovered another option - Tecline JetStream and LightJet.
Jetstream looks like the OMS Slipstream and the LightJet looks a lot like Deep6 Eddy. Has anyone had any experience with these fins and can chime in?

Any other models I should keep an eye for?

tl;dr
I'm looking for fins that aren't too heavy with good propulsion (enough to carry big guy during an intro dive).
Open to recommendations.

I've gone from Deep6 Eddys to Scubapro Jet Fins recently (for the added negative buoyancy). To me, it seems like they kick nearly identically -- if anything, the Eddys feel a tiny bit stiffer to me. If you liked the Jet fins but they were too negative, I'd highly recommend the Eddys

The RK3s and dive rite XTs are my light fins. The rest of my fins are definitely on the more negative side. If you like the jetfins, but need something lighter both of those are solid picks. The XTs are longer, so if you want to stay more compact, my suggestion would be the RK3s.

Scubapro go sports might be worth trying. I'm not sure if they are neutral or slightly positive though.

The scubapro go fins float (in salt water).

If you’re overseas, shipping on the Eddys from the US is going to be killer.

@TomerG

I'd recommend against having tl;dr section to avoid people recommending fins that you've ruled out.

My favorite, the Deep 6 Eddy are out due to shipping costs though. I've read, but not personally experienced, that the OMS fins are pretty similar. I hope you are able to try before you buy.

Thanks for replies!
Like I said the RK3 felt too soft so they're out. I wish I could get the Eddys and I see they're recommended a lot but shipping is a killer, hoping I could get a 2nd hand from someone in Europe.
The Scubapro Go seems light but I'm concerned that like the RKs they wont give me enough propulsion.
Only one dive shop got the OMS in stock and they'll only let you rent them for trial but I might do that if no other option is available.

I'll edit the main post but the main thing I'm looking for is propulsion, not buoyancy.

Yeah if you knew foe sure you wanted the Eddy fins, I could ship from Greece in a couple weeks but that doesn't allow you to try first.

Jet fins if you have the leg for it. I think mine are from Dive Gear Express and came with spring straps for less than $50 several years ago. (They don't have them listed now) They will MOVE you. If not, Mares Avanti Quatros. I dive one yellow and one white so students and my buddy can find me easily. Depending on the conditions and what I'm doing will determine which fins I grab. Diving all day in Jets will have my legs cramping before the day is out. The Quatros don't move quiet as much water, but are much more comfortable.

Quatros would be my recommendation for a good all around fin with only a slight compromise on power. I've had to do several tired diver tows and can't say I can tell much difference between the two other than the Quatros are easier on the legs. If you go with Quatros, make sure you buy extra straps. The surgical tubing fails without warning.

Good luck,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom