Fin recommendations for an assistant instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just ordered some Eddys. Can't wait to try them out.

Quatros would be my recommendation for a good all around fin with only a slight compromise on power.
They seem quite bigger than the standard "jet fins" size of most other brands. Do you notice any difference in that? Like any difficulty or discomfort with frog kicking?
Just ordered some Eddys. Can't wait to try them out.
Did you have other fins before? How did you know that these are the fins for you?

Did you have other fins before? How did you know that these are the fins for you?
Yep, I've had a bunch of other fins, but not for a very long time. Right now I only have an almost 20 year old pair of Jetfins that I use a lot, an even older pair of Quattros that I never use and a pair of Cressi freediving fins that I would love to use more, but never seem to have room for them when I finish packing. I am doing a lot more travel and warm water diving these days and was looking for something that will still allow me to be able to utilize a wide array of propulsion techniques (backwards kick, etc.) while not being a nightmare to bring on a plane (looking at you freediving fins) and also not being really heavy like my Jetfins. I honestly have no idea if these are right for me, but from what I have read they sound like they will be a lighter, more travel friendly version of my Jetfins that are also less negatively buoyant. If that ends up being the case I think I'll like them.

Thanks for the detailed response.
From I've read online they do sound like the perfect fins for warm water, being lightweight and having good propulsion.
I'd be very happy if you could comment after you've had a chance to try them.

Thanks for the detailed response.
From I've read online they do sound like the perfect fins for warm water, being lightweight and having good propulsion.
I'd be very happy if you could comment after you've had a chance to try them.
It may take me a bit to get them wet, but I'll definitely update this thread when I do.

The Eddys are good and similar to the OMS Slipstreams that I like for 3/2 wetsuit diving. Decent stiffness like Jetfins but floatier. It sounds like it'll be a good choice for your requirements.

Another vote for the quattros. I've been using them since 96 (found them in a bargian bin for $20). About two years ago I lost one and bought another pair (that means that the first ones ended up costing me less than $1 per year!). I have tried several other fins over the years, but always come back to the quattros. Frog is my primary kick and I usually have to rein it in and go slow or I'll outrun every buddy I've ever dove with.

Since they're such a classic design, check ebay or craigslist. You'll probably find a beater pair worth getting just to try them out.

The Eddys are good and similar to the OMS Slipstreams that I like for 3/2 wetsuit diving. Decent stiffness like Jetfins but floatier. It sounds like it'll be a good choice for your requirements.
Any big difference between the OMS and the Eddys, other than weigh\buoyancy? Do they feel the same while kicking?

I dive warm water (Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz) in a similar config to OP.

For teaching and general easy guiding dives I'm more than happy with the RK3 (non HD) They have plenty of propulsion, and I can easily drag a novice diver through some surface current to a boat.

I have found their limits, in extreme currents in Komodo where they were running out of drive, I could still keep up with the others in the group wearing jets - it just took a little bit more effort. By extreme currents it was a trip deliberately diving hard sites on spring tides with no other divers in the area

That said for diving in strong currents my go to are my Dive Rite XT's and while they're a bit neg, it's not enough to cause issues. They are a very stiff fin though. In the example above I took my RK3's because I was carrying an old ankle injury (and the RK3 are slightly smaller and lighter for travel)

For teaching and general easy guiding dives I'm more than happy with the RK3 (non HD) They have plenty of propulsion, and I can easily drag a novice diver through some surface current to a boat.

During an intro dive (with a guy twice my weight) I took a pair of RK3 and felt that they were too floppy and didn't push me like I expected. Also unrelated, I just saw the new pool that opened up in Dubai. Did you get a chance to go there?

By the way, are intro dives more popular in Israel than other places? I know that DSD is like a day or half a day. Intro dives are probably about an hour in total being about 30 minutes basic usage of gear and instructions and another 30 minutes actually diving with a guide holding you.

Back
Top Bottom