Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I was complaining because I have to drive 150 km to the closest LDS... :confused:

We do have a couple of DSes in town... but over here "we live near Chicago" and "DRiS is in Chicago suburbs" means a 4-hour drive. Where you are, Spain may be not much further than that.

How short do you want them? Cressi ARAs are 20+" and IIRC their Reactions are a couple of inches longer still.

I'm not too specific on length exactly, more performance. Shorter is better but they have to work for me.
There are a few I want to try when I get a chance - so far mares aventi quatro + are in the lead. Those are a bit towards the long side of what I'd be willing to go for so a bit shorter than them is good.
I'm not too worried about travel issues (weight etc) as my clothing weighs nothing so most of the weight I carry is my bp/w, reg, and camera gear. I'm used to traveling with ludicrously long fins so anything I can shove in a standard suitcase will be a bonus in that regard.

We do have a couple of DSes in town... but over here "we live near Chicago" and "DRiS is in Chicago suburbs" means a 4-hour drive. Where you are, Spain may be not much further than that.

Depending which coast of Spain, but that's between 4 and 5h30 for me indeed

The fastest fins I currently have are Cressi HF3000 freediving fins. They are long & thin. They work well with the trim scuba rigs I use in warm waters. They give my legs a moderate amount of strain & give very good speed. The HF 2000 is a little stiffer, puts more stress on your leg muscles & moves you even faster if your legs are up to the task. I don't own those, but I have used them a few times. The similar fins with carbon fiber inserts are probably even better. The foot pockets in the Cressi fins are the most comfortable ones I own. I also have some older Scubapro split fins that are even easier on my leg muscles & move me pretty well. My Mares Avanti Quattro fins are the stiffest ones I currently own. They are the hardest on my leg muscles & most likely to give me cramps if I start to push them hard. They give only moderate speed. They are good for standing tip toe on the bottom. I usually only use them for salvage diving, when I do not expect to be swimming long distances. I'm not going to mention the other fins I own. They are just junk that I can't recommend at all.

Back
Top Bottom