Fin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After taking my cave class in scubapro twinjets w/ spring straps I have decided to get a pair of regular jet fins or something similar but only because the twin jets seemed to long and seemed more apt to tick the ceiling in tight areas. Long story short I want a set of shorter fins just for cave/wreck use and I know the DIR guys and most cavers use the oms or scubapro ones but I also know you all buy a specific size too. I am unsure what size or the reason for using only a certain size even if it requires wearing 2 pairs of booties or something. I want something comfortable and in my size if possible but if something else works better its worth considering. Thanks

I'm not sure of any specific size other than what fits. I dive Jets and they work well for me.

but I also know you all buy a specific size too. I am unsure what size or the reason for using only a certain size even if it requires wearing 2 pairs of booties or something.

God, I love the intarweb...

Buy what fits a single bootie on your foot. It's as simple as that.

What I THINK he's getting at are multiple fins for multiple applications (dry, wet, etc.)? Maybe?

I'm looking at Jets myself. OMS are neutral, Jets are heavy, Turtles are HUGE.

What I noticed is some sites only sell size XXL or XL jets and I have read on scubaboard of (woman especially) wearing 2 pairs of booties so they can use their XL jets. I thought maybe there was a reason behind that but for general I guess I'll just buy what ever fits. Thanks

Some of us bought a set of Jets for one application (for example, cold water dry suit diving) and have found we need to play around with footgear to use those fins for other (eg. warm water) diving. If you're only going to use one gear setup, buy the fins that fit the footgear you like to wear.

One caveat to that -- If you're a very small person, and your heavy footgear obligates you to very large fins, you're not going to be happy.

A lot of people buy XL jetfins. The size of the XL blade is significantly larger than the L. Theory is that you will have to fin less hard to move. I found the XL's too large for my taste. I dive L's and it keeps my butt tight.....:D

In all seriousness, there is a significant difference in swimming L or XL jets.

In all seriousness, there is a significant difference in swimming L or XL jets.

I heartily agree, which is why I made the comment above that I did. I was forced into XLs by the boots that came with my new dry suit; I hated them, and have had to fiddle around to find footgear that would allow me to use my Ls again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom