• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fin??

Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by NorthWoodsDiver, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    There are other sizes. My wife dives size L jets. I also have some Medium jets at home. The smaller sizes aren't as common because jets tend to be mainly used by dry suit divers and most dry suits require bigger foot pockets on their fins.

I agree. I've tried both and so has my wife. There is a difference. I wish they'd make the L with bigger paddles.

I think he meant cavern, not cave.

I've only done a couple of dive in DRs. I'm not impressed so far. I'm going to try them a few more times, though. The jets are just too heavy on me in a wet suit.

They used to. Jim Wyatt used to teach it.

2. Papa_Bear

Papa_Bear Dive Equipment Manufacturer

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    When you travel a lot weight makes a big difference!

3. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    True, but I'm not going to sacrifice my trim for luggage weight. I'll leave some other stuff behind.

4. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    As far as a can tell most adult males will need XL in Jets. XLs fit me perfect with size 9 rockboots. I tried getting a pair of Ls for diving wet, and my size 9 wetboots wouldn't fit inside.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Slipstreams only come in XL as far as I can tell. I've never seen them in any other size. I prefer slipstreams to Jets, because they are neutral. I don't have a problem with floaty feet. Just 2 days ago, I had a strap on my slipstreams break in current as I was swimming to the diveboat. If it was a Jet fin, it would be at the bottom of the ocean instead of in my divebag. Of course this is a non-issue for cave divers, because they would be using springstraps. Until now I thought sprigstraps were a waste of money for OW. I changed my mind on that.

5. Splitlip

Splitlip Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999

That is really surprising that the instructor permitted it. Just curious, what agency?

6. Michael Schlink

Michael Schlink Instructor, Scuba

Not that I dive splits in caves but where does it say you can't? As for the DR fins, they weren't made by cave divers for cave diving. They were/are a paddle style fin that DR adopted, I think Apollo had them first but don't quote me. They do OK, I prefer them in the Fl caves over my splits, personal preference.
    I can't recall PADI ever having a cave class, cavern yes, but cave ????
    And as for spring straps, some very accomplished and experienced cave divers DON'T have spring straps. I like mine, but they certainly aren't req'd.

7. Splitlip

Splitlip Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I was just curious. I am not cave certified, but when I made inquiries I was told the only equipment caveat was no split fins. Lines, I am told can get caught up in them. I can attest to that. I dive split fins almost exclusively here drift diving. Towing my float, I have to be careful that the line does not get snagged in my fins.

8. PerroneFord

PerroneFord DIR Practitioner

# of Dives:
    Yea, they used to.

9. contender

contender Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Dive Rite also makes a pair that looks like jet fins as well, I use these. They are for their overseas market, but they are a great fin.

10. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    Scroll to the bottom of this page. I think that card was printed on parchment. :D