Fin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I noticed is some sites only sell size XXL or XL jets and I have read on scubaboard of (woman especially) wearing 2 pairs of booties so they can use their XL jets. I thought maybe there was a reason behind that but for general I guess I'll just buy what ever fits. Thanks

There are other sizes. My wife dives size L jets. I also have some Medium jets at home. The smaller sizes aren't as common because jets tend to be mainly used by dry suit divers and most dry suits require bigger foot pockets on their fins.

Meng_Tze:
In all seriousness, there is a significant difference in swimming L or XL jets.

I agree. I've tried both and so has my wife. There is a difference. I wish they'd make the L with bigger paddles.

SparticleBrane:
On a slightly different note -- did I read correctly that the OP took a cave class...in splits...?

I think he meant cavern, not cave.

PerroneFord:
I tried the Dive Rites. They sucked (for me). Too long, poor propulsion, too narrow, too light.

I've only done a couple of dive in DRs. I'm not impressed so far. I'm going to try them a few more times, though. The jets are just too heavy on me in a wet suit.

NorthWoodsDiver:
PADI doesn't do cave classes.

They used to. Jim Wyatt used to teach it.

True, but I'm not going to sacrifice my trim for luggage weight. I'll leave some other stuff behind.

As far as a can tell most adult males will need XL in Jets. XLs fit me perfect with size 9 rockboots. I tried getting a pair of Ls for diving wet, and my size 9 wetboots wouldn't fit inside.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Slipstreams only come in XL as far as I can tell. I've never seen them in any other size. I prefer slipstreams to Jets, because they are neutral. I don't have a problem with floaty feet. Just 2 days ago, I had a strap on my slipstreams break in current as I was swimming to the diveboat. If it was a Jet fin, it would be at the bottom of the ocean instead of in my divebag. Of course this is a non-issue for cave divers, because they would be using springstraps. Until now I thought sprigstraps were a waste of money for OW. I changed my mind on that.

Correct I took the class in size large yellow scubapro twin jet split fins. Thats all I own and in fact the other guy in my class had apollo splits and 2 other people in my little group also dove apollo split fins. Thats what we had and since I didn't know if I was gonna even like cave diving I didn't want to commit to a new pair of fins and spring straps yet. Splits worked good but they were to long and dont allow a back kick (reverse gear). I dont really want to get into an argument over splits but since my fins didn't cause any damage to the cave nor did I cause any silt clouds I personally feel it was not worth getting new fins for 1 week of diving. With that said I am looking at jet style fins for future use. Frog kicking with splits works fine but is hardly as effective as with traditional jets.

That is really surprising that the instructor permitted it. Just curious, what agency?

Not that I dive splits in caves but where does it say you can't? As for the DR fins, they weren't made by cave divers for cave diving. They were/are a paddle style fin that DR adopted, I think Apollo had them first but don't quote me. They do OK, I prefer them in the Fl caves over my splits, personal preference.
I can't recall PADI ever having a cave class, cavern yes, but cave ????
And as for spring straps, some very accomplished and experienced cave divers DON'T have spring straps. I like mine, but they certainly aren't req'd.

Not that I dive splits in caves but where does it say you can't?

I was just curious. I am not cave certified, but when I made inquiries I was told the only equipment caveat was no split fins. Lines, I am told can get caught up in them. I can attest to that. I dive split fins almost exclusively here drift diving. Towing my float, I have to be careful that the line does not get snagged in my fins.

They are also plastic, positively buoyant (which does nothing for drysuit wearers), and expensive.

I think I'll stay with my Jets.

Dive Rite also makes a pair that looks like jet fins as well, I use these. They are for their overseas market, but they are a great fin.

I can't recall PADI ever having a cave class, cavern yes, but cave ????

Scroll to the bottom of this page. I think that card was printed on parchment. :D

Splitlip:
I was told the only equipment caveat was no split fins. Lines, I am told can get caught up in them.[/url]

Most cave passages are large enough you won't necessarily be close enough to get splits caught in them, especially at the cavern level. I don't allow it in the cavern class I teach and even have extra sets of jets and other paddles fins as loaners, but it's my discretion, not an agency thing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom